Canada Kicks Ass
Push Population to 100 Million

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

EyeBrock @ Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:41 pm

sandorski sandorski:
NWT, Yukon, and Nunavut are largely unexplored as far as Resources is concerned. There will be plenty of opportunities, especially for Offshore Oil/NG.

I'm sure those locations are on WalMart's new store list for 2011.

sandorski @ Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:10 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
sandorski sandorski:
NWT, Yukon, and Nunavut are largely unexplored as far as Resources is concerned. There will be plenty of opportunities, especially for Offshore Oil/NG.

I'm sure those locations are on WalMart's new store list for 2011.

Doubt it, but who cares about Walmmart anyway?

Bruce_the_vii @ Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Lots of optomism in this thread, going ahead there will be clear sailing, lets build a Greater Canada. I was a little surprised. They make sound simple.

herbie @ Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:50 pm

You forget about the TYPE of immigrant to look for.
I guarantee you that if we took 10,000 Albanians back in the 90s and GAVE them land, say at Germansen Landing or Manson Creek
a: We wouldn't be eating New Zealand lamb
a2: there's be an abbatoir, and other farmers would use it.
b: The farms would be more productive than the fields of stones back home
c: The bugwood would be cut to make homes and barns and fences, the less to burn and if it did we wouldn't have to fly in firefighters from Quebec
d: the road would be paved, some would open stores to serve the others, etc.
e: there's be 13,000 ppl there now.

There are immigrants that don't just fucking sit there expecting shit to be delivered to them. That don't spend every waking minute thinking up scams and cons. That appreciate there IS more opportunity than their homeland.
We just go after the wrong ones, every goddam time. That come from a ghetto and make a new one while they wait for some factory to miraculously appear.

EyeBrock @ Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 am

I totally agree with you herbie. You'll have to stop this.

uwish @ Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 am

I guess the issue is, where to put them? It sounds funny coming from a country as large as ours, but I don't want the 'usual' spots to get all the people. I don't think Vancouver, To, Calgary, Mon could handle 25 million more people. How do you get them to want to go further north??

Proculation @ Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 am

you are so right Herbie.

I live near a park in Montreal and the only thing I see is veiled women pushing children. How does that help us, this kind of immigrants ?

The women I know are studying to become doctors, not veiled baby-makers.

sandorski @ Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 am

Proculation Proculation:
you are so right Herbie.

I live near a park in Montreal and the only thing I see is veiled women pushing children. How does that help us, this kind of immigrants ?

The women I know are studying to become doctors, not veiled baby-makers.

Every woman you know is becoming a Doctor? 8O

bootlegga @ Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 am

uwish uwish:
I guess the issue is, where to put them? It sounds funny coming from a country as large as ours, but I don't want the 'usual' spots to get all the people. I don't think Vancouver, To, Calgary, Mon could handle 25 million more people. How do you get them to want to go further north??

Only let in people who have jobs waiting for them in the Territories! :lol:

I don't know either, it's a real dilemma. I think we got tons of room for people, but the big three cities are already so crowded that adding more people there simply doesn't make sense.

Canadian_Mind @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

Bruce_the_vii Bruce_the_vii:
A more powerful country, that's this guys' interest. We have the living space so lets build a powerful nation. People, Canadians, care about family, standards of living and social conditions - not being a more powerful country. Political wennies worry about being a more powerful country. I'm a half polical wennie but I have my build a power undercontrol.

More Canadians care about power and control than you, or even they themselves, realise. The fact is that in order to maintain what we have that we as Canadians value so much, we need to be powerful enough to control ourselves and repulse the power of outside influences. I don't know if you recall, but there was a fair bit of national uproar over Danish claims to Hans Island. Hans Island is a relatively insignificant speck of land in the north, with very little territorial value, but it is a part of a much greater issue. If we can't defeat the Danes, (a much less powerful country than ourselves) in either the political sphere, or whatever other means it may require to project and maintain power and control over that part of the arctic; it will set a negative precident for our other territorial claims against our much more powerful adversaries (USA, Russia, and China), over much larger chunks of territory. The majority of Canadian people recognise this. If you don't, you're stupid.

In a perfect world, size doesn't matter. But sadly, even in the scientific community and political spheres, size does matter. And that doesn't even count the military force that is always required to back a diplomatic claim. History as shown repeatedly that even the best diplomatic solutions in the best of faith still erode to meaningless scraps of paper when one party to the agreement becomes obscenely more powerful than the other. The only reason we exist as a nation today, with todays established borders and estabished social practices, is we've been lucky enough to have a neighbour to our south for whom it is more benificial for them to simply let us be and barter peacefull diplomatic agreements with us, than to bully us into even more unfair agreements than we currently have.

Even then, we still often get the short end of the stick. Example being the softwood lumber deal, where we forfeited almost a billion dollars to them in a political agreement which according to the rules established by NAFTA, is illegal and still unfair for us. People like to bitch about the government wasting hundreds of millions here and billions there, but that billion dollars lost by the private industry and the issue that preceeded it was far more damaging to our economy than a billion dollars in poorly alloted government spending ever could be. We had the initial capability to force the Americans to cave in, both under the rules of NAFTA and against the rules, including the most extreme measure of putting tariffs on our oil exports. However, we risked a trade war (read a series of diplomatic disagreements with severe economic penalties) that, due to our being only 1/9th the size of the US, we would have either come out of in a far more detrimental position than the US, or in an outright loss that would have bankrupted the country and ground our economy to a halt. This would have thrown millions of people into the unemployment lines, rather than the few hundreds of thousands we had during the most recent recession, making it look like a cakewalk.

Even at 100 million people then vs. the USA's 300 million, we still would have lost a trade war had one broken out. However, due to the increased size of the population, and thusly the increased size of the potential economic output, the USA would have suffured far greater consequences for the equivilent amount of losses on our end. This would have made retaliation to the American's initial crime in the softwood lumber dispute an easier choice to make, because we both would have been able to absorb greater economic impact, and deliver greater economic impact in a trade war, making American escalation to any retaliation we made much less likely.

And, just knowing that we would have the capability to make life difficult for them economically would likely have been enough to deter them from fucking us over in the first place. To be powerful enough to deter a country from messing with you doesn't mean you have to be able to outright defeat them in the political, economic, or militaristic sphere. You just have to make the consequences of them fucking with you, other country's fucking with us, detrimental enough that they acknowledge and realise than the consequences to fucking you outweigh the gains. Therefore the playing feild, whether it be diplomatic, economic, militaristic, cultural, any combination of those four, or any others I may have missed, will be more level.

That is what the Proffessor meant by having more power to weild to influence other nations. It's not to subvert or otherwise fuck other countries into unfair deals that our in our favour, but rather to have the power to be able to stand on a level playing feild with the other significant nations on the planet. I'd rather be a part of a Canada that both takes shit from no one and gives shit to no one, than a Canada that is forced to suck the diplocatic tits of other countries in order to guaruntee our continued existence and current standard of living. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees, and one step further, it's better to be able to be able live on your feet.

That is all I am going to post for tonight, it is getting late here and I cannot post my views on other peoples comments and opinions before the end of the night. I hope to be back on here tommorow, however.

As a last bit, reference china in the arctic, I think this thread exemplified why again we need to have more power and political clout on the world stage. Yes the Russians can probably stomp the Chinese out of the arctic, but with them on the path to quickly having a greater arctice capability than we do (and we live here), what stomps Russia from stomping us out by whatever means they deem neccisary. If it isn't in the USA's favour they aren't going to come to our rescure. Only way it would be is if we gave concessions to them, which frankly shouldn't be an option.

http://www.canadaka.net/forums/current-events-f59/harper-deals-with-new-arctic-rival-china-t90139.html

PS. Arcy, I love ya buds. We have to get together for a drink when I get back to Canada.

Bruce_the_vii @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:36 pm

So we need a larger army to protect us from the Russians, who are a nuclear power, and also the Danes, who are a NATO ally. And most Canadians understand this, are promilitary. Count me as stupid then, my boy, because I don't see it.

herbie @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Ve must protect our lebensraum! 30 million, squashed into a mere 3 million square miles. Zose Greenlanders, zey are ze blood of our Inuit. Anschluss mit our Northern brethren, zey demand it!

TheCanadian @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:23 pm

May I suggest way? i'll give order by order steps of how to make this coutnry greater.

1)Add a goddamn rail from Churchill to Whitehorse so the North will be cheaper (literally like $500-$850 per month so they'll have less alcoholic problems and people will mvoe up North) don't forget people go where the money is not the tempature.

2) Remove NAFTA because they only brought our manufacturing jobs for our young future canadians manufacturing jobs south and if we make it so if you use Canadian resources your processing plant is IN Canada. Otherwsie it's gunna cost you.

Arctic_Menace @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:26 pm

TheCanadian TheCanadian:
May I suggest way? i'll give order by order steps of how to make this coutnry greater.

1)Add a goddamn rail from Churchill to Whitehorse so the North will be cheaper (literally like $500-$850 per month so they'll have less alcoholic problems and people will mvoe up North) don't forget people go where the money is not the tempature.

2) Remove NAFTA because they only brought our manufacturing jobs for our young future canadians manufacturing jobs south and if we make it so if you use Canadian resources your processing plant is IN Canada. Otherwsie it's gunna cost you.

There are so many things wrong with what you just said, but I am very tired and will leave your trouncing in the capable hands of other prominent members. Enjoy your stay.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
TheCanadian TheCanadian:

There are so many things wrong with what you just said, but I am very tired and will leave your trouncing in the capable hands of other prominent members. Enjoy your stay.

No, AM!!!! Don't leave us with the necro-posting newb! 8O

I beg you!

:lol:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next