Canada Kicks Ass
Push Population to 100 Million

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Canadian_Mind @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:37 am

Found a neat article on another forum I frequent (skyscraperpage.com). Forgive me for not posting excerpts from the article or the essay itself. Kinda on limited time here, and just wanted to throw this out there before I ran out.

I generally agree with his points. I've been thinking about 100 million as a magic number for some time now. I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with about 80% of it overall, and think that 100 million by 2060-2070 would put us in a good position to look after ourselves as a country, both from domestic and environmental issues, aswell as foreign threats over increasingly sparse resources of which we have in abundance.

Link to the article: http://www.vancouversun.com/Push+Canadian+population+million+scholar/3147619/story.html#ixzz0rPXLt5lT

Link to the Essay: [url]http://globalbrief.ca/blog/2010/06/14/canada-%E2%80%93-population-100-million/[/url

It's just food for thought, and I look forward to seeing the discussion that comes from this, if any, by the next time I am on here. Basically on the other site the main issues people started to argue over were the destruction of Canadian culture, integration with America to achieve the same goals as pushing population, etc.

Personally, I think that youcan increase immigration while at the same time increasing their awareness of and instill within them their own Canadian Identity. I also don't think that we have a competing culture with the USA, but a mono-culture with them. This is something that I feel having 100 million people vice only 34 million would help change, and actually make us somewhat unique compared to the yanks.

Anyways, later all.

martin14 @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:46 am

Ok but these new people need to go up North, to help solidify our claims there.

All should be put 300km or more away from the US border. :)

CommanderSock @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:33 pm

This wouldn't be any different than the nation building tactics the USA and Australia employed in the past.

RUEZ @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:25 pm

martin14 martin14:
Ok but these new people need to go up North, to help solidify our claims there.

All should be put 300km or more away from the US border. :)

The government needs to start releasing crown land. They have a far to restrictive control over available land which forces people into the established cities. Try looking up house prices in the North West Territories. You're looking at 300k for a house in a territory with a population of around 50k.

Bruce_the_vii @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:18 pm

A more powerful country, that's this guys' interest. We have the living space so lets build a powerful nation. People, Canadians, care about family, standards of living and social conditions - not being a more powerful country. Political wennies worry about being a more powerful country. I'm a half polical wennie but I have my build a power undercontrol.

EyeBrock @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Yea, nice idea. Lets import a few million more people to areas with no infrastructure, roads, hospitals etc. Try getting into an ER in the the GTA right now.

If we truly need/want 70 million more people in Canada, we should at least make an effort to accomodate them. In Southern Ontario we are bursting at the seams. We need to do more than just let the masses in. Let's actually plan for them coming.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:15 pm

30 million give or take 10% is enough. We don't breed like rats and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle, so why invite those who put rats to shame, and would deny us our lifestyles.

Thanos @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Sounds too 'Soylent Green' nightmarish to me. I can't deal with the stress of the crowds we have right now. Any more than we've already got sounds way to close to hell on Earth for my comfort level. Count me out, chief.

sandorski @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm not sure if 100 million is the magic number, but it is clear that higher Population would benefit us greatly. I'm not thinking of it from a Military Power viewpoint, but from an Economic Viewpoint. The less reliant our Economy is on Trade, the more Independent and Secure(at least in the sense of Foreign Economic troubles affecting us) our Economy becomes.

EyeBrock @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:27 pm

More population would benefit us greatly. Tell me more. The less we are reliant on trade? Are we going to sell our excess population?

Another well thought out and founded argument. Dare I say it? The F word?

sandorski @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:12 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
More population would benefit us greatly. Tell me more. The less we are reliant on trade? Are we going to sell our excess population?

Domestic Economy, Google it.

edit: Also Google, Economies of Scale

KorbenDeck @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Immigration on that scale would screw Canada and I would bet it would start civil war in Canada more than anything else. Bring in 30 million Muslims 30 million Hindis and have Canadians be outnumber 2:1 by people who do not speak our languages or share our cultural values. Plus the two groups hate each other, the Muslims hate everyone and would make up almost a 1/3rd of our population and any nation that has more than 30% Islamic population always ends up with civil unrest as the Muslims try to bring Islamic rule to the country.

It be nice if Canada had 100 million but immigration at that scale and even at the level we are doing it now is just plain stupid. Also our lifestyle as it is now is unsustainable at a mere 30 million no way we could sustain 100 million people.

andyt @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:54 pm

sandorski sandorski:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

You mean like the US with 300 mil - yeah, they're doing great. The only reason China is going so well with it's billion plus is because of trade. There is no economy in the world I'm aware of that is self contained.

I gotta go with the F word here too.

sandorski @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 pm

andyt andyt:
sandorski sandorski:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

You mean like the US with 300 mil - yeah, they're doing great. The only reason China is going so well with it's billion plus is because of trade. There is no economy in the world I'm aware of that is self contained.

I gotta go with the F word here too.

"Self Contained" is not the Goal, less dependent on Trade is. Size also helps in the area of Innovation, especially where High Tech is concerned.

RUEZ @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:12 pm

sandorski sandorski:
"Self Contained" is not the Goal, less dependent on Trade is. Size also helps in the area of Innovation, especially where High Tech is concerned.

You might want to google U.S. trade deficit.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next