Canada Kicks Ass
Canadaka back from Road Trip

1  2  Next

Canadaka @ Wed May 25, 2005 8:58 am

I went on a 5 day road trip in the USA, had a good time and I am back now.
the main destinatin was Bryce and Zion canyons in utah, but we stopped at many places, including a day in Las Vegas. I had been to all the places we went on this road trip before, but i was much younger and with my parents.

[hr]

left vancouver 8pm-ish wednesday

arrived in salt lake city around noon-ish the next day
- kinda boring
- it's like a small town that wants to be a big city so they build all these large buildings but it's still a small town
- lots of mormons
- very clean

drove to bryce canyon
- arrived after sunset
- took a long time setting up the tent
- slept snugly until the next morning (except the other two were not so snug and warm)
- looked around bryce canyon
- got sunburnt pretty badly

drove to zion national park
- beautiful!
- did you know that some of those mountains are petrified sand dunes? i found that most fascinating
- looked around some "emerald pools"
- nowhere to camp :(

drove to las vegas
- drove through the desert sunset
- arrived at night
- buildings are big and look ridiculous during the day
- lots of people wanting to look hot and pretty
- rumour has it the temperature was 108F -- we had no idea what that meant, but it sounded hot, and i just looked it up on a unit converter and it's 42C
- too hot to handle, so we left after lunch

drove through the hotness to california
- bought a bag of ice to hold and drink in the car
- no air conditioning
- we melted
- our deoderants all melted
- slept in a random californian town

drove up the coast to san francisco
- california's coast is beautiful, i want to see more
- almost ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere
- looked around fisherman's wharf
- ate lots of food

drove to redding, ca

drove home!

the end!

happy to be back where there are:
- not as many morbidly obese people
- kilometers
- smaller food portions
- different coloured paper monies
- less scary gas prices
- unmelted deoderants

good ideas:
- microsoft streets and trips
- laptop with star trek TNG episodes
- fruit leathers

[hr]

A couple observations of things:
- definatly notice more fat people in the US, maybe its just BC and not eastern Canada. but there was a lot more fat ppl down there in all the 5 states we went too.

- soon as you cross the border the people seem a fair bit different. 3km over at a gas station people seem differenet. just kinda weird since we are so close, yet different

- getting gas in the us sucks! not even the fact that i have no idea what there prices mean, its the fact that you have to prepay everywhere! all 5 states we went too. in BC i never pre-pay, i hate it. Also some places had only full serve, but the full serve did jack shit. They didnt even hold the nozzel, they jack it up, which is illegal in BC, Canada

- The US interstate freeways definatly own any roads we have here, in BC anyway. Often 4-6 lanes and can go 140km/hr in some places

- overall the people we came accross were very friendly.

- we came across so many Canadians form Quebec

twister @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:53 am

when I was 16 during the summer we biked from Vancouver to Sacramento CA.. nice trip.. knees were never the same again had to take the train and bus back... biked and camped that was awesome...
We're supposed to be taking a team trip this year down to salt lake I believe.. should be interesting...

usababe @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:02 am

my brother lives outside Sacramento....in the foothills of Lake Tahoe....It's BEAUTIFUL. I've heard Canada is even more beautiful....

glad you had fun and made it back safe!

Robair @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:26 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
- definatly notice more fat people in the US, maybe its just BC and not eastern Canada. but there was a lot more fat ppl down there in all the 5 states we went too.
Come on down to Kentucky brother, cause you probably ain't seen nothin' yet.

Now lets clarify, there are beutiful women in KY(usababe for one), just head to the track on derby day and you can't miss 'em. But there is an alarming number of those women(and some men) that sit on their little scooter to get around WalMart and the scooter disapears. Kinda scary, really. They look like they are just hovering up and down the isle because the scooter literally disapears.

My longest road trip was driving from NY city back to Alberta after the towers came down. The flight was cancelled, everything was grounded, so we rented a minivan and drove home. Wasn't near as much fun, I'm sure, as your trip.

truecdneh @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:24 am

Longest I've ever done was Toronto area to Naniamo. Drove 40 hours straight through to Calgary roughly 3500k then moved on from there.. The mountains are awesome to travel through..

CanadianLynx @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:11 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
I went on a 5 day road trip in the USA, had a good time and I am back now.
the main destinatin was Bryce and Zion canyons in utah, but we stopped at many places, including a day in Las Vegas. I had been to all the places we went on this road trip before, but i was much younger and with my parents.

[hr]

left vancouver 8pm-ish wednesday

arrived in salt lake city around noon-ish the next day
- kinda boring
- it's like a small town that wants to be a big city so they build all these large buildings but it's still a small town
- lots of mormons
- very clean

drove to bryce canyon
- arrived after sunset
- took a long time setting up the tent
- slept snugly until the next morning (except the other two were not so snug and warm)
- looked around bryce canyon
- got sunburnt pretty badly

drove to zion national park
- beautiful!
- did you know that some of those mountains are petrified sand dunes? i found that most fascinating
- looked around some "emerald pools"
- nowhere to camp :(

drove to las vegas
- drove through the desert sunset
- arrived at night
- buildings are big and look ridiculous during the day
- lots of people wanting to look hot and pretty
- rumour has it the temperature was 108F -- we had no idea what that meant, but it sounded hot, and i just looked it up on a unit converter and it's 42C
- too hot to handle, so we left after lunch

drove through the hotness to california
- bought a bag of ice to hold and drink in the car
- no air conditioning
- we melted
- our deoderants all melted
- slept in a random californian town

drove up the coast to san francisco
- california's coast is beautiful, i want to see more
- almost ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere
- looked around fisherman's wharf
- ate lots of food

drove to redding, ca

drove home!

the end!

happy to be back where there are:
- not as many morbidly obese people
- kilometers
- smaller food portions
- different coloured paper monies
- less scary gas prices
- unmelted deoderants

good ideas:
- microsoft streets and trips
- laptop with star trek TNG episodes
- fruit leathers

[hr]

A couple observations of things:

- soon as you cross the border the people seem a fair bit different. 3km over at a gas station people seem differenet. just kinda weird since we are so close, yet different

- getting gas in the us sucks! not even the fact that i have no idea what there prices mean, its the fact that you have to prepay everywhere! all 5 states we went too. in BC i never pre-pay, i hate it. Also some places had only full serve, but the full serve did jack shit. They didnt even hold the nozzel, they jack it up, which is illegal in BC, Canada

- The US interstate freeways definatly own any roads we have here, in BC anyway. Often 4-6 lanes and can go 140km/hr in some places

- overall the people we came accross were very friendly.

- we came across so many Canadians form Quebec

Vancouver-Reno by bus..<.never again>
Bowling tournament ,and after 22hrs on the bus forget it.Trip was only suppose to be 16hrs,but "Murphy's Law" ..
Needless to say I flew back
Stopped at a Denny's just outside of Sacramento..It was funny,but not too many noticed as we were just plum tuckered out,but a bus load of Canadians walk into a Dennys restaurant which just happens to be playing music by Burton Cummings.
Cleared all the Americans out of the place.Even seen some of them just toss the napkins down in disgust,give us a dirty look,and left

Had another unscheduled stop at a Dennys because our relief driver was nowhere to be found.dispatcher sent him to the wrong place.
1:30am and the staff was totally unpreparde for this stop,but they called in extra staff.They did a wonderful job ,and very polite.We tipped very well for the service they provide on such a short notice

CanadianLynx @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:15 am

We expect to see photos!!! of your trip,especially the one were you just won the "jackpot" in Vegas
:D

Proculation @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Hey Canadaka, how much KM was that trip?

ManifestDestiny @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Just so you know Canadaka

47.9% of Canadians are overweight (Sep 2003), and that statistic is gradually rising. Canadian health experts believe "Canada is narrowing the obesity gap with the U.S." and "Canada's obesity epidemic will catch up to that of the United States within a decade." In Prince Edward Island 59% of people are fat. McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in Canada by a long stretch with three million customers a day. CBCNEWS

3.8 liters = 1 Gallon (highschool math) so if Gas is 2.00 a gallon it comes out to 52 cents a liter on average 25 to 30 cents cheaper than yours. So whose prices are really scary. And by the way you dont have a credit card so you can pay at the pump?

Canadaka @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:42 pm

Maybe so maybe is better to compare BC to the US, because i definatly notice a difference. Maybe eastern Canada is fatter, heh

$1:
I'm just curious, were they French or Anglo?
Were they living or just on vacation?

No they were French-Canadian on vacation. Also when i was in europe met a fair number of french Canadians and people from Texas. Kinda odd.

Robair @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:43 pm

NYCisHome NYCisHome:
Just so you know Canadaka

47.9% of Canadians are overweight (Sep 2003), and that statistic is gradually rising. Canadian health experts believe "Canada is narrowing the obesity gap with the U.S." and "Canada's obesity epidemic will catch up to that of the United States within a decade."
I've started topics on this, trying to generate discussion but rarely get intrest. It is a problem in Canada. But my personal experience is similar to Trevs, people get huge down here compared to Manitoba, SK, Alberta or BC. (the area of Canada I'm familiar with.) Moved here with two other Canucks, and it is the first thing any of us noticed. We are all from the west.

NYCisHome NYCisHome:
3.8 liters = 1 Gallon (highschool math) so if Gas is 2.00 a gallon it comes out to 52 cents a liter on average 25 to 30 cents cheaper than yours. So whose prices are really scary. And by the way you dont have a credit card so you can pay at the pump?
Let me translate...

For the Canadians:
Gas in America is around 67 canadian cents per litre.

For the 'mericans:
Gas in Canada is around 2.40 american cents per gallon.

Did the math real quick using 80 cents/litre and 2.00/gallon... think I got it right.

A lot of stations on the interstate here in KY make you pre-pay, due to a high number of drive-offs I guess.

Canadaka @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:44 pm

$1:
And by the way you dont have a credit card so you can pay at the pump?

i do, but there was 3 of us plitting gas, plus som,eitmes you want to buy drinks and stuff, so here in BC i just put it all on the same bill when i go into the gas store.

Arctic_Menace @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:46 pm

As soon as my exams are over, me and some friends are taking a road trip to Florida. :D It's gonna be soooooo nice. 8)

Welcome back Trev, now I get to pester you again. :wink:

lol, j/k man. :D Welcome back. [flag]

Tman1 @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
As soon as my exams are over, me and some friends are taking a road trip to Florida. :D It's gonna be soooooo nice. 8)

Welcome back Trev, now I get to pester you again. :wink:

lol, j/k man. :D Welcome back. [flag]

Hey can I come? 8)

1  2  Next