Canada Kicks Ass
How the War on Terror gave rise to ISIS

1  2  3  Next

andyt @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:29 am

http://www.salon.com/2016/09/11/the-end ... m-of-isis/

the 911 plotters got what they wanted

BRAH @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 am

The powder keg of ISIS was always there 9/11 lit the fuse.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Without clicking the link I can say you could also connect to the Arab Spring as giving rise to ISIS.

You could go farther back than that and say no it was the Afghan rebellion against the USSR that gave rise to Al Qaida.

Or go back farther still to Al Banna and the creation of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Really though, you'd have to keep going all the way back to when the Meccans kicked Mohammed out of Mecca. He went to Medina and discovered Jihad.

The world has been at war with the Jihad of Islam ever since.

PluggyRug @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:13 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Yeah but Delwin wants to know about the morality of the war. ROTFL

2Cdo @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:38 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Yeah but Delwin wants to know about the morality of the war. ROTFL

Well guys like him, BeaverFever and Andy treat anything said by muslims as gospel and anything said by Christians and right-wing politicians as nothing but lies. Thus we are the immoral ones and they'd side with islam.

BeaverFever @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Do you ever pull your head out of your ass?

Just curious.

BeaverFever @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:17 pm

andyt andyt:
http://www.salon.com/2016/09/11/the-enduring-damage-of-911-how-the-war-on-terror-gave-rise-to-a-bigger-threat-in-the-form-of-isis/

the 911 plotters got what they wanted

Of course they did. Bush's response is exactly what they were hoping for and we all said it at the time. For the same reason, ISIS has said they want Trump to be president.

Thanos @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Anyone who hasn't recanted their support for the Iraq invasion by now and is still unable to admit that toppling Saddam was the catastrophe that set the stage for ISIS probably shouldn't be listened to very much. It was the original sin for the region that all the other poisons have been born out of since.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 pm

This all depends on what you're talking about, specifically.

If you are saying the specific thing called ISIS was largely spawned out of the political chaos of Iraq after Saddam, well sure, but if you're saying only Iraq was seasoning that soup, nope, that's not exactly it.

More importantly, if you're expressing certainty that nothing like an Islamic state could have been possible without the American misadventures in Iraq, or only ISIS was ever going behave as the original Mohammed did in the environment following the Arab Spring, or no group or leader would ever call for a Caliphate, well then it's you that shouldn't be listened to.

Thanos @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Disastrous policy in Vietnam ended up destroying Cambodia. Disastrous policy in Iraq ends up destroying Syria. Domino-effect theory entering into reality. Except it's the reverse of what it was originally described as. Instead of victories for communism in south-east Asia or jihadism in Muslim countries the US choosing a state to beat into the stone age results in one of the targeted countries' neighbours also turning into a nightmare. Hiding behind the usual "look how good and decent and great we are trying to help the unenlightened locals!" said locals end up living through a friggin' completely avoidable catastrophe in their own front yards thanks to that American "help".

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Do you remember Glenn Beck getting trashed for predicting a drive for an Islamic Caliphate (or State) during the Arab Spring?

In case you didn't click, the video is from back in 2011. Beck says, "It is not about Freedom. It is not about Democracy. It is about an Islamic State."

This was before ISIS was a thing.

He got mocked for that worse than Infowars just did for predicting Hillary Clinton's health problems.

In both cases all they both did was notice the obvious.

Thanos @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Who, except the liberal types, ever denied that the jihadists want to build a caliphate?

What would your response to the Status of Forces Agreement that the (Potemkin) Iraqi government insisted on, that the US get out as per the agreed schedule? Tell them no because you think something something is going to happen after they left? Do you think more American dead and more American money spent to defend a worthless Iraqi government and an indifferent-to-hostile Iraqi population would have been worth it?

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Who, except the liberal types, ever denied that the jihadists want to build a caliphate?

I don't know. I was away from CKA at the time Beck was being maligned for predicting an Islamic State.

You tell me. Who was doing it here?

It was being done all over the media and the internet.

From 2014:

$1:
Three years ago, Glenn Beck was relentlessly mocked for saying that Islamists in the Middle East are trying to rebuild the caliphate — the government implemented after the death of the prophet Muhammad that derives its authority from and governs by Shariah law.

The idea was called “looney tunes” by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews in 2011, while others in the media said Beck was having “delusional ravings.”

What did Beck say on Monday, now that the concept is being seriously discussed by CNN and a senior adviser to the Department of Homeland Security said the return of the caliphate is “inevitable”?

Beck addressed the matter on both his radio and television programs.

“I want to point this out to CNN,” Beck said on radio. “When the people in Egypt were actually saying that they wanted a caliphate, we had them on tape saying that. But they only said that in [Arabic]; they never said that in English. … Because they had the PR firm that could actually speak the language of the western press, you completely dismissed it. … Iran has been talking about the same thing. You dismiss it.”

Beck said he isn’t sure how the mainstream media “picks and chooses who to listen to and who not to listen to,” but we are three years closer to a potential caliphate.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06 ... ed-on-cnn/

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 pm

Now it is true Beck was predicting an Islamic State being birthed out of the complexities of the Arab Spring not Iraq, but that's my point. You didn't need Iraq to see a call or move for an Islamic State coming.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Also, I know you want to go here, but I don't.

I'd be diverting from my point. I'll only say, I agree with Bill.

1  2  3  Next