Canada Kicks Ass
What are you drinking?

Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22 ... 34  Next

raydan @ Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Winnipegger @ Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Yesterday was my birthday. I forgot the place where I volunteer decided to work Thursday instead of the usual Friday, because this Friday is Canada Day. I was awakened when the supervisor phoned to say he was outside my house to pick me up. I had to quickly get dressed and go. So left home 8:15am, doors opened 9:00am, closed 4:00pm. Once I got home was regular work.

I got work as a Census enumerator for June and July. My supervisor there has received orders from his higher-ups to change collection areas every 3 days. I was assigned a new area Thursday afternoon. So as soon as I got home, I had to go through notes of previous enumerators. Many don't know how to verify if an address has changed. When someone says they already did it online using their correct address, how do you verify that? I can. Others said they sent it in when it was never received. And notes said one resident wanted someone to visit late evening, at 9:30pm. So I worked the Census from the time I got home from volunteering until bed time. Stopped to shop on the way home. Got some groceries, and this.

Happy birthday to me! After working form sun-up to sun-down. A couple friends told me there was a community block party, in a community I don't live. But it was on my birthday. Didn't make it because I was working. Today is Canada Day. No work today, but have this bottle. Cheers!

vickyD @ Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:05 pm

I start early,just to make sure I have enough time,sometimes noon is god.

Baileys on ice,and by evening a Pina Colada goes down smoothly :)

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Not sure....my wife gave me a glass that looks bubbly and said, 'try this and tell me what you think.' Haven't worked up the courage yet, as I'm afraid it may be something vile like beer and ginger ale. PDT_Armataz_01_07

Jabberwalker @ Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Not sure....my wife gave me a glass that looks bubbly and said, 'try this and tell me what you think.'

"I was working in the lab, late one night..."

vickyD @ Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Lol

I would let the dog have a taste first.just saying. :)

DrCaleb @ Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:45 am

GreyMonkSiegerrebe - Copy.jpg
GreyMonkSiegerrebe - Copy.jpg [ 631.8 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]

Imagine you were eating sweet green grapes and honey, then took a bite of a golden delicious apple. That would be this wine! [drool]

raydan @ Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Lemmy @ Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Thinking I'm gonna have a Bambarra and Coke with a slice of lime...or 5.

Robair @ Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Last night I had a little tooo much bourbon. Then took the bus home!

Might not sound like such a big deal to you but...

I've never driven a bus before. [drunk]

DrCaleb @ Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:02 am

:lol:

DrCaleb @ Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 am

$1:
The scientific arms race to age our whiskey

Despite more whiskey research than ever, proprietary desires may limit our understanding.

Almost every distillery tour follows the same format. First, you’re led by a display of raw materials. Then, the guide takes you around the fermentation tanks and by the still. But the magical part is what comes next. Once the whiskey is collected from the still, it’s put into barrels and stored in cool, shadowy warehouses called rickhouses. The air here smells of the vanilla and oak and grain from the spirit that’s evaporated. And since most rickhouses aren’t even wired for electricity, you almost feel like you’ve stepped back in time. Whatever comes from here will taste like pure wonder.

In reality, the spell was cast long before you stepped foot into these whiskey-scented buildings. Labels, websites, and other bits of marketing work together to paint pictures about things like generations of distillers, specific grain blends, or the surface details of aging. And within those first steps of any tour, a guide spins a narrative made of half myth and half fact, incorporating widely accepted statistics like the percentage of each barrel that evaporates each year. Despite the lack of published evidence to back such information up, these whiskey standards are often repeated as fact, especially by PR reps, bartenders, and enthusiastic consumers.

The truth is, most of the research being done on whiskey, especially about how and why it ages, will never be available to the public. With revenue from whiskey sales topping $2.7 billion in 2014 in the US and projected to keep rising, producers’ hesitance to share is somewhat understandable. In many cases, the data collected could give any company a competitive advantage.

As this high-stakes competition is increasingly met by consumers demanding more product and information, a kind of arms race has developed. On the one side, producers and scientists alike are racing to discover what affects the aging process and precisely how it works. On the other, an ever-growing number of entrepreneurs is inventing new ways to try to sidestep the years previously required to produce what we would all recognize as whiskey.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/ ... r-whiskey/

raydan @ Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 pm

11.9% alcohol!!! [drunk]

raydan @ Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm

La Ruée vers Gould is also a Québec B&B/restaurant with a Scottish flavour.

PluggyRug @ Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm a generous person so I sent two truck loads of Kool Aid To BF.

Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22 ... 34  Next