Canada Kicks Ass
Theresa Spence / Native land issues - merged

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 110  Next

Brenda @ Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 am

I haven't read a couple of books about it, nor have I lived there. I gots common sense though :P

(yeah yeah, I know, not everyone shares my opinion on that :lol:)

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 am

so very, very, very common.... bow and grovel in our august presence as you slowly back your way to your ramshackle hovel you foreign slattern

Brenda @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:01 am

Sure! Just gimme $50k/mo :P

jeff744 @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:02 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
he read a couple of books, while I used to live and teach in a fly-in, but what he read gives him a deeper understanding of their plight.....don't think so sparky.

So, no community is different from another and they are all the exact same?

jeff744 @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:05 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
jeff744 jeff744:
It's amazing what reading 30+ articles and 2 books will do to your view of a particular issue.

With respect, reading a couple books on the issues doesn't make you an expert. Far from it. In fact, a lot of what you've read on here is more factual and realistic.

Having spent a decade + on a reserve, you placing the blame on the Government of Canada is laughable.

More money is not going to solve the problem.

You want to place the blame at the feet of the Government while on the other hand, you expect the Natives to have zero accountability for the money and the housing they've provided?

Simple maintenance leads to buildings lasting longer and when you don't take pride or ownership into something you've been GIVEN, it falls apart and you blame everyone else for your lack of effort to maintain even the basic standards of living.

"Factual and realistic", not the words I would use to describe it when you are trying to crucify leaders that were put in charge when many still have a high school or lower education because there has been absolutely nothing attempted to teach them things like accounting.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:06 am

the problems are often identical(financial mismanagement and corruption and d a refusal to adhere to fiscal transparency), except this place has been given a shitload of cash from the feds and debeers, which makes it even more suspect.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:09 am

Brenda Brenda:
Sure! Just gimme $50k/mo :P

You didn't stipulate in what currency...will Thai baht do?

jeff744 @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:12 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
the problems are often identical(financial mismanagement and corruption and d a refusal to adhere to fiscal transparency), except this place has been given a shitload of cash from the feds and debeers, which makes it even more suspect.

They are also even more isolated than most and have had massive maintenance costs and the like as a result of past evens like a sewer backup. To get things fixed they often have to fly people into the community because nobody is trained on how to do it. The government gave them a completely foreign system of government (traditionally there wasn't one) and then one day gave them a bunch of power and told them to figure it out. So what we have now are a bunch of people with no traditions to fall back on, little to no education to use, and almost no way to acquire it.

Brenda @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:12 am

$=dollars. US or Canadian will do, thanks :P

OnTheIce @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:19 am

jeff744 jeff744:
"Factual and realistic", not the words I would use to describe it when you are trying to crucify leaders that were put in charge when many still have a high school or lower education because there has been absolutely nothing attempted to teach them things like accounting.

I'm not trying to crucify the leaders. I'm pointing out the obvious, that you and Chief Spence fail to acknowledge.

Take care of the things that have been given to you. Stop letting your homes fall into disrepair. Take some pride of ownership of the place where you intend to raise your children.

Don't sit back while your windows leak and you get mould in your home and blame Canada for not buying caulking to seal the windows.

Chief Spence is paid well, and they have a long list of leaders, some making in excess of 70k per year who can help her along. Not a bad salary for someone with little to no education.

Look within to find the problems. That's where they are.

jeff744 @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:28 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
jeff744 jeff744:

I'm not trying to crucify the leaders. I'm pointing out the obvious, that you and Chief Spence fail to acknowledge.

Take care of the things that have been given to you. Stop letting your homes fall into disrepair. Take some pride of ownership of the place where you intend to raise your children.

Don't sit back while your windows leak and you get mould in your home and blame Canada for not buying caulking to seal the windows.

Chief Spence is paid well, and they have a long list of leaders, some making in excess of 70k per year who can help her along. Not a bad salary for someone with little to no education.

Look within to find the problems. That's where they are.

Few of their houses actually got mold from wear and tear, most of them were knocked out as a result of a major sewer backup, flooding caused by ice, and shoddy construction in the first placed because they don't apply to provincial building codes, just federal which are poorly enforced, thus shortening the lifespan of the houses. This has been an issue for years due to a population boom that is making their own population grow at a rate that they cannot sustain due to the extreme costs of building a house.

The only long term solution to keep the community there would be to start a small part time lumber mill that would use nearby trees to drive down construction and firewood costs. Every other solution is just a band-aid that will come off eventually and show that nothing has been fixed.

OnTheIce @ Fri May 25, 2012 8:52 am

jeff744 jeff744:
They are also even more isolated than most and have had massive maintenance costs and the like as a result of past evens like a sewer backup. To get things fixed they often have to fly people into the community because nobody is trained on how to do it. The government gave them a completely foreign system of government (traditionally there wasn't one) and then one day gave them a bunch of power and told them to figure it out. So what we have now are a bunch of people with no traditions to fall back on, little to no education to use, and almost no way to acquire it.

And when they are provided with the tools to maintain their vital water supply, they sell the truck (Given to them for free) that the repair man needed to transport his tools. The only guy trained can't get to the filtration building because he has to carry tools on his BIKE!

Further, there's a staff up there of 41 people! Some making as high as 87k!

andyt @ Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 am

jeff744 jeff744:
The only long term solution to keep the community there would be to start a small part time lumber mill that would use nearby trees to drive down construction and firewood costs. Every other solution is just a band-aid that will come off eventually and show that nothing has been fixed.

Every solution that doesn't result in most band adults having jobs is just a band-aid, and will result in the problem continuing.

jeff744 @ Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 am

andyt andyt:
jeff744 jeff744:

Every solution that doesn't result in most band adults having jobs is just a band-aid, and will result in the problem continuing.

A lumber mill would employ multiple people from the community and drive down the price of housing so repairs would be cheaper and people would actually be housed.

andyt @ Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am

No doubt. But it's not enough to create an economic base. It would be a very small mill for such a small market. These remote reserves have no economic justification for being, so they're just places to keep the natives quiet with welfare.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 110  Next