Canada Kicks Ass
Saskatchewan, what you think about it?

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:10 am

Sorry,I cant resist.

rev says.

$1:
The people in Saskatchewan are good people too. I jumped in my father's truck the last time I was in Saskatchewan and blew a tire almost as soon as I pulled out on the highway.

How did you get your lips around it?

RUEZ @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:14 am

ziggy ziggy:
Sorry,I cant resist.

rev says.
$1:
The people in Saskatchewan are good people too. I jumped in my father's truck the last time I was in Saskatchewan and blew a tire almost as soon as I pulled out on the highway.

That's not helping. I started this thread to get an idea of what Sask would be like to live there. It's not a thread to discuss what province is better or worse. It's strictly about Sask. We could always start one about Alberta and you guys could tell me how great it is there. I've lived there though I know it's a good place.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:15 am

You never said whether you mean tomorrow or next week, Ziggy.

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:21 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
ziggy ziggy:
Sorry,I cant resist.

rev says.
$1:

That's not helping. I started this thread to get an idea of what Sask would be like to live there. It's not a thread to discuss what province is better or worse. It's strictly about Sask. We could always start one about Alberta and you guys could tell me how great it is there. I've lived there though I know it's a good place.

I never dragged Alberta into it first.Someone wants to try and sully this province then they should expect a backlash.Just because rev cant comment on anything without throwing in an anti Alberta slant is not my fault. I will defend my province from these kinds of lies and bullshit anytime I hear them regardless of what topic there on ok?

He can shut up or start a topic slamming Alberta if he has the nads,but he chooses to sprinkle his little hateisms through all topics.

grainfedprairieboy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:56 am

Tman1 Tman1:
Ralph Klein is gone and whatever "business smarts" he entrusted with the province is gone. Alberta may still have the money but they do have a different leader.

I think this comment accurately reflects why Saskatchewan, once the wealthiest jurisdiction on the planet and today possessing more potential then anywhere else in the world, is a third world province – you believe government is responsible and should be involved/partner/instigator when we know government is the problem and should be restricted/suppressed/avoided. Less government = more opportunity. It reminds me of a question put to students in Alberta and Quebec years ago as part of an experiment:

A bus load of people is travelling along a typical winding switchback and careens over the side killing all passengers leaving no witnesses, who do you think is responsible and how do we prevent similar tragedies in the future?

Quebec student responses.

Bus should be inspected to determine what failed as mechanical failure or weather likely result of crash.

- Government should study road to determine why accidents like this happen.
- Government should redesign road system to prevent future tragedy.
- Government should review regulations regarding the mechanics of buses.
- Government should increase regulations regarding when drivers are allowed to operate buses preventing companies from pushing drivers beyond their capabilities

Alberta student responses.

Driver error likely responsible failing to take into account any variable encountered such as weather and road conditions, mechanical limitations of the vehicle, etc.

- If this is a constant recurring problem then companies should recognise and explore ways to prevent this from reoccurring.
- Companies should consider using an alternate route.

I think Saskatchewan has a similar mindset to Quebec when it comes to government.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
You know those losers from Alberta who keep telling you how cool they are and how you oughtta be just like them? Why are they trying to convince you of anything?

Because Alberta wants every province in Canada to enjoy a standard of living like ours. Alberta/Saskatchewan is personified when you drive across the border and change from a proper wide smooth asphalt highway with shoulders to a chip sealed pothole filled skinny nightmare.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
In the meantime, I'd still like to remind everybody from Saskatchewan to look at what they've accomplished as a province and to stand up and be proud of it.

That’s carrying self-esteem too far. You may raise your children in an environment where everybody gets a ribbon because everybody is a winner and grading school work is degrading the student. Anyway, I notice that you, like almost everybody else has left and pretty soon there will be no one remaining to stand up and be proud.

Actual sign in clothing store near University of Saskatchewan in 2005: Sale! Come take advantage of our prices and look good for your job interview in Alberta!

RUEZ RUEZ:
I think Sask. has a lot to be proud of. Alberta certainly got the luck of the draw by being overtop all of that oil.

Absolutely no luck at all. Alberta has a government that gets out of the way and allows industry to develop, Saskatchewan has a government that state owns everything and relies on co-ops and unions.

ziggy ziggy:
Well I'll be there,save your insults for then if you even show up.
You have a big mouth on the net,probably not so big in person I bet.

Smart money says Ziggy kicks his ass.

RUEZ RUEZ:

You can’t have a conversation about Saskatchewan discussing its future or past without Alberta as it is the bellwether for comparison. Again, Saskatchewan was once the wealthiest jurisdiction on this planet and held the most promise of any province in Canada through its massive petroleum, potash, and uranium reserves and agricultural capability. It’s interesting to note that what was once the third most populace province in Confederation, still has not increased in over 110 years and now Edmonton has more people then the entire province. The depression nearly destroyed both Alberta and Saskatchewan and following it they both chose decidedly different routes with one relying on government and the other relying on the private sector. The proof is in the pudding.

Double Post.

Triple post?

Toro @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:08 am

I look forward to the pictures.

I grew up in Saskatchewan and couldn't wait to leave. But I return a couple times a year and enjoy going back. (And surprisingly, I've return unharmed each time, contrary to what some blowhard posting on this thread once predicted.)

Saskatchewan has a lot going for it. People are generally friendly - as long as you stay out of the bars. It is not expensive (though it was funny when the NDP campaigned on keeping Saskatchewan the cheapest place to live in Canada - hint, places are expensive because people want to live there). And the economic prospects for Saskatchewan over the next decade are quite bright. There is a commodity boom going on around the world that, though there will be a nasty correction or two, will last for another decade or two. Since Saskatchewan has a lot of stuff in the ground, Saskatchewan will benefit. In northern Saskatchewan, there are so many lakes that many are still unnamed. I'd bet that in the top third of Saskatchewan, there is more water than land.

On the downside, its frickin' cold. If you can't handle -40 and wind chill in the winter, don't live there. Though the province takes education seriously, there is still a very rural and redneck mentaility underlying the culture. A friend of mine whom I grew up with and his wife recently moved back to Saskatoon from London and this was the first thing they said when I asked them if it was good to be back. There is a demographic problem in Saskatchewan. There is a sizeable non-taxpaying portion of the population that is growing faster than the rest of the population, and those that do pay taxes are getting older. Thus, the population will be supported by a shrinking tax base, which means taxes will probably rise over the long-term, and when the commodity boom ends, Saskatchewan will once again become a have-not province.

IMO, Saskatoon is a nicer and more dynamic city than Regina. I've lived in both, and I like Saskatoon better.

My wife and I talk about returning to Saskatchewan when we retire, or at least for a few months in the summer. But since I'm still in my 30s, that's still a decade or two away.

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:49 am

Jheeez! Wonder who that was. :wink:

$1:
grew up in Saskatchewan and couldn't wait to leave. But I return a couple times a year and enjoy going back. (And surprisingly, I've return unharmed each time, contrary to what some blowhard posting on this thread once predicted.)

Toro @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:21 am

Ziggy, my man, you shouldn't allow those who resent you for your success bring you down. Class-baiting hatred isn't exactly the province of the successful, after all. Instead, when someone chooses to spray invectitude at you merely because of your being, just laugh and reply

"Show me the money, sucka!"

Then, pat them on the head, tell them to run along and let them carry on with their pettiness.

Life's too short.

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:25 am

The Revs been reved up ever since he saw this. :roll:

1Peg @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:25 am

ziggy ziggy:

The people that slam us for doing good are just mega jelous.

There is envy, when on top.

1Peg @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 am

ziggy ziggy:

OMG ROFL HAHAHA my cheque didnt quiet look like that, none the less funny!

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:30 am

1Peg 1Peg:
ziggy ziggy:

OMG ROFL HAHAHA my cheque didnt quiet look like that, none the less funny!

This one was my fav. Step dancing Maritimers....I love it.

ziggy @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:33 am

And because this is a Saskatchewan thread.

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next