Canada Kicks Ass
Quebec language cops say there is too much Italian on Italia

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

jambo101 @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 am

I got no problem with Quebec being predominantly French and that French culture promoting its culture,where the problems start for me is having a party in power who's sole purpose is to have Quebec separate from Canada,laws like Bill 101 that give zealous Xenophobes within said French culture the right to enact laws that blatantly curtail/diminish my Anglo culture, and a legal gestapo like group like the OQLF to enforce draconian language legislation.

Vamp018 @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 am

jambo101 jambo101:
I got no problem with Quebec being predominantly French and that French culture promoting its culture,where the problems start for me is having a party in power who's sole purpose is to have Quebec separate from Canada,laws like Bill 101 that give zealous Xenophobes within said French culture the right to enact laws that blatantly curtail/diminish my Anglo culture, and a legal gestapo like group like the OQLF to enforce draconian language legislation.

The US has that problem also it's called the divide and conquer by Race and Culture Democrats and Purple Republicans. Nothing like the PQ although I have to admit yet. So how we break up Quebec to settle the issue?? Also eliminate French out of the ROC.

Jughead @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:04 am

raydan raydan:
Jughead Jughead:
...why should we learn a new language now, when our ancestors did not. We still live in the same city. Surely we should be not be changing our culture in our city simply to cater to the separatists.

Why should you learn how to use a computer when your ancestors did not?

The answer is quite simple, computers did not exist back then, however both English and French speakers were already present in Montreal. English speakers in Montreal back then stayed with their language and culture, so why should we change now? We're still in the same city.

Not the greatest analogy.

Jughead @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 am

raydan raydan:
I'm not really discussing the language laws in Québec and I'm not being hostile... so my question is still valid... would you, or would you not, learn another language to keep your job and stay where you are or would you quit and move?

Well I would consider moving if I were not living in my native town. Montreal is my home town, and there is no reason for me to leave my native soil. As for work, I don't work in the public service, so my job does not require be to be bilingual. Same goes for some childhood friends of mine who also grew up in Montreal and are not bilingual. They all have good jobs (school teacher, mechanic, cook ..).

Bottom line is there should be no reason anyone should be forced to leave his native soil, unless of course there is a shortage of work which affects everyone regardless of language.

Jughead @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:24 am

Vamp018 Vamp018:
jambo101 jambo101:

So how we break up Quebec to settle the issue??

Partition.

In the event the separatists ever win a referendum to separate from Canada, the solution is to let Quebec succeed from Canada. Montreal will then hold it's own referendum to succeed from Quebec and remain in Canada. We all know that if Canada is divisible, then so is Quebec.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 am

Jughead Jughead:
raydan raydan:
I'm not really discussing the language laws in Québec and I'm not being hostile... so my question is still valid... would you, or would you not, learn another language to keep your job and stay where you are or would you quit and move?

Well I would consider moving if I were not living in my native town. Montreal is my home town, and there is no reason for me to leave my native soil. As for work, I don't work in the public service, so my job does not require be to be bilingual. Same goes for some childhood friends of mine who also grew up in Montreal and are not bilingual. They all have good jobs (school teacher, mechanic, cook ..).

Bottom line is there should be no reason anyone should be forced to leave his native soil, unless of course there is a shortage of work which affects everyone regardless of language.

You ran around my question but you never answered it. :lol:

Jonny_C @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 am

raydan raydan:
You ran around my question but you never answered it. :lol:

It seems to me you got a couple of good answers, but maybe not the ones you wanted.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

OK then, maybe he did... :wink:

andyt @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:03 am

I have to admit that I don't understand how somebody can live in Quebec and at least have some rudimentaray French.

Of course when I went, the words of my highschool French teacher were ringing in my ears that the Quebecers would be delighted if I tried my French out on them. What I got was the eyeroll, sigh and answers back in English. So maybe an Anglo can't learn French because the French won't speak it to him.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

I do know a lot of Québec Anglos, a few of them being what I like to call "hardcore Anglo", born here and having almost no French comprehension... some of them I know well, some I consider friends. My opinion is that most of them, faced with the obligation of having to learn French to work here, would rather move.

Lemmy @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 am

Those of us who vacation in New England need to know enough French to remind you ignorant Quebeckers to put your goddamn trash in the trash cans. :twisted:

Jonny_C @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 am

andyt andyt:
Of course when I went, the words of my highschool French teacher were ringing in my ears that the Quebecers would be delighted if I tried my French out on them. What I got was the eyeroll, sigh and answers back in English. So maybe an Anglo can't learn French because the French won't speak it to him.

Well, most people appreciate it if you try to speak a little French at the start. It shows some effort at least, and a little respect.

Those who would make fun of you for trying, you can chalk up to being ignorant. I've met this type, but you always hope to meet very few of them.

Jonny_C @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am

raydan raydan:
I do know a lot of Québec Anglos, a few of them being what I like to call "hardcore Anglo", born here and having almost no French comprehension... some of them I know well, some I consider friends. My opinion is that most of them, faced with the obligation of having to learn French to work here, would rather move.

Many Anglos have already done so, and I would guess that the separatists and pur laine like it that way. There are many who would like to treat bilingual Anglos, even if they speak quite decent French, as faintly second-class.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
raydan raydan:

Many Anglos have already done so, and I would guess that the separatists and pur laine like it that way. There are many who would like to treat bilingual Anglos, even if they speak quite decent French, as faintly second-class.

There will always be haters, on both sides.

jambo101 @ Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 am

With Anglo's in Quebec representing a mere 8% of Quebecs population and a generation of draconian language laws dedicated to preserving the French language you'd think the general Quebecois citizen would be secure in the total Frenchness of Quebec,but no we now have the threat of bill14 which is nothing more than an enhanced and beefed up bill101.
For the separatist element in Quebec nothing short of the total eradication of English and its culture will be enough along with the inevitable sovereignty/separation.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next