Canada Kicks Ass
Sovereignty, schmovereignty.

Previous  1  2  3  Next

sandorski @ Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 am

Hopefully Quebec Separatism is dead. Not only for Canada's sake, but for Quebec's. They've wasted so much time, money, and energy on the issue and have lost $billions in investment.

RUEZ2 @ Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Bart drew an analog between Canada and a boat. I would draw an analogy between Canada and the human body.

Quebec's culture is Canada's heart and soul. Alberta and Ontario are her strong working arms and legs. BC's beauty is her beautiful face, the Maritimes her delicate fingers. Sakatchewan and Manitoba's farms are her chest, and the wild, remote Territories her mysterious, dangerous charm.

You simply cannot amputate one part without destroying what Canada is as a whole.
I agree that Quebec is important to Canada, but when I think culture my first thoughts are not of Quebec.

grainfedprairieboy @ Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:54 am

Bouboumaster Bouboumaster:
J'adore ce que Hurley_108 a écrit :D

Hurly: I think he's trying to pick you up.

Congio @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:54 am

Canada was founded French. French is our nations History. Nations who loose history... stop being nations.

Quebec is the heart and half of Canada s soul. Quebec cant separate. But it wants to... Why?

As a student of cultural studies I say: culture. Quebec s frenchness, is in danger. Quebec is afraid of losing it's identity and becoming English. No one wants to be assimilated.

Quebecers won't let this happen, so they want to separate so an independent nation could protect it's cultural heritage... But most of them don't know it's not the way. Canada and Quebec are forced to be together - it's the laws of nature.

The history of the world is integration. Trilbies used to unite together. Today countries do. Today we call it i Globalization. If Quebec separates it will have to re enter the Canadian confederation in the future. If Canada will exist - not merge with the Yankees.

romanP @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Bart drew an analog between Canada and a boat. I would draw an analogy between Canada and the human body.

Quebec's culture is Canada's heart and soul. Alberta and Ontario are her strong working arms and legs. BC's beauty is her beautiful face, the Maritimes her delicate fingers. Sakatchewan and Manitoba's farms are her chest, and the wild, remote Territories her mysterious, dangerous charm.

You simply cannot amputate one part without destroying what Canada is as a whole.

Okay, with Canada as a body I see Quebec as a benign rectal tumor. It's a pain in the rear, it does nothing, it contributes nothing to the rest of the body, it sucks up resources from the rest of the body, and should it become malignant it should be excised immediately.

Where do you live? BC? Sometimes?!

How many times have you even visited Quebec?

What do you know of issues that face Quebec?

romanP @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am

sandorski sandorski:
Hopefully Quebec Separatism is dead. Not only for Canada's sake, but for Quebec's. They've wasted so much time, money, and energy on the issue and have lost $billions in investment.

Quebec separatism will probably never die. But I think it's part of what keeps us on our toes as a nation. It kind of serves as a constant reminder that we should all protect our own cultures by practising them instead of complaining that other people aren't. It teaches us how to act peaceably and diplomatically with the rest of the world.

A former Canadian ambassador to Israel once wrote that there are not that many differences between the politics of Canada and Quebec, and those of Israel and Palestine. Many people will deny that either Quebec or Palestine do not have their own distinct cultures, but anyone living there will probably tell you differently. Others will say that Quebec is a drain on Canada's economy, or that Palestine is no different, but if you remove either one and put up walls and borders around them, you'll find that you're suddenly losing a lot of business.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 am

I am a Quebecer and proud of it.. I am a Canadian and I am also part British.. I am proud of our English/French heritage..Quebec plays a major role in our economy and is vital to our place on the world stage.. I would not like to see Quebec separate and I truly believe this will never happen... I have travelled to many countries in the world and we are envied by many... the issue of separation will never die as long as the bloc, PQ and Action democratique are given fuel for their fire by bitter people ...

Congio @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 am

Quebec separtion movement will die. Maybe we will see it durring our lives.

kenmore tells us his reasons why he is proud to be Canadian. the separatist Quebecers have to realize what Canada is for them. They will. Let's hope soon.

fire_i @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 pm

I don't see the separatist movement dying any time soon - plus it's a bit of a cyclic thing, comes and goes. Since 1960 it seems the "base" of separatists in Quebec is 40% of the population (that's when nothing in particular happens, right now the latest 2 polls I've seen indicated 39%, which is about normal), a number which tends to rise to at most 55% when things are really sucky (like in the middle of sponsorship scandal).

Yet before approximately 1960 the issue was essentially non-existent... and then again, during the revolution of the Patriotes, it's not unthinkable that support for it could have been very high.

So yeah, cyclic thing.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 pm

J'aime cela hurley....

dino_bobba_renno @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm

This is more of a question than anything but do think the fact that Quebecers see separatist parties achieving beneficial results for their province helps feed into their popularity. In other words, do you think some Quebecers who support separatist parties do so more because they see it as a way make political and financial gains when dealing with the federal government as opposed to truly supporting separation? (again it’s just a question)

*I don’t think it would be beneficial for Quebec or Canada for them to separate just to set the record straight.

Montrealaise @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 pm

kenmore kenmore:
I am a Quebecer and proud of it.. I am a Canadian and I am also part British.. I am proud of our English/French heritage..Quebec plays a major role in our economy and is vital to our place on the world stage.. I would not like to see Quebec separate and I truly believe this will never happen... I have travelled to many countries in the world and we are envied by many... the issue of separation will never die as long as the bloc, PQ and Action democratique are given fuel for their fire by bitter people ...

I agree with you. I am of French Canadian stock, on both sides, though my mother tongue is English (some acquaintances don't believe me when I say that, I don't have an accent in either language), as my mother is an anglicized Acadian. I agree with you that Québec will never separate. I believe that a majority of Québecers do not want to be separate. Well, after 2 referendums, the no side has won both. Notice how the parti Québécois gains in popularity when separation is off the table. I think some Quebecers like the idea of separatism, but when the time comes to pt their money where their mouth is, they just don't have the stomach for it. I feel bad that Pimpbrewski has moved away partly because of the politics here... Though the threat of separatism is annoying, it's certainly not boring. Kind of like a toothless lion, I guess.

The PQ eats it's leaders for Breakfast. I give Marois a couple of years at most.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:56 pm

I give her less than that... she is no match for the other party groups.. the PQ have left a sour taste in the mouths of most Quebecers..I know some pretty strong separatists that will not vote PQ again... also the ethnic groups in Quebec dont feel comfortable with them.. mostly because Jacques Parizeau blamed the loss of the referendum on them..

Pimpbrewski @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 pm

romanP romanP:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

Okay, with Canada as a body I see Quebec as a benign rectal tumor. It's a pain in the rear, it does nothing, it contributes nothing to the rest of the body, it sucks up resources from the rest of the body, and should it become malignant it should be excised immediately.

Where do you live? BC? Sometimes?!

How many times have you even visited Quebec?

What do you know of issues that face Quebec?

There are times which I respect Bart's opinion.

Except for his take on QC of course :lol:

fire_i @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
This is more of a question than anything but do think the fact that Quebecers see separatist parties achieving beneficial results for their province helps feed into their popularity. In other words, do you think some Quebecers who support separatist parties do so more because they see it as a way make political and financial gains when dealing with the federal government as opposed to truly supporting separation? (again it’s just a question)

*I don’t think it would be beneficial for Quebec or Canada for them to separate just to set the record straight.

Likely.

However, notice separatist parties, as of lately, tend to get less votes than there are Québécois who claim to be separatists... that means that the opposite is actually more likely and that many separatists actually vote for federalist parties.

My own educated guess is that nearly all separatists who don't vote PQ/Québec Solidaire vote ADQ, a party that has a rather ambiguous stance on the issue of separation, dubbed "autonomism"... it's essentially "federalism, but we get special rights" (a position I personally consider stupidly unrealistic since all the extra rights we'd get would be what Canada would allow us to get - that is, next to nothing). I'd add that those voters would vote "Yes" to any referendum but do not believe the separatist parties are suitable to governing Quebec - the reason is likely to be "too left wing", but it's maybe also a matter of how they believe a party with closer ties to Ottawa is likely better for Quebec than one that is certain to push for conflict.

Previous  1  2  3  Next