Canada Kicks Ass
Torture Inc. Americas Brutal Prisons

1  2  Next

Scape @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:24 pm

Just finished watching this on the History channel. Inmates being handcuffed and put in restraint chairs against the manufactures instruction which inevitability leads to the prisoners being suffocated to death. Mentally challenged being routinely tazered. Gassing are weekly occurrences. Guards who speak out are in fear of their lives.

Prisons are not country clubs. With the sheer volume of prisoners in the US it is expected that there will be some transgressions. Inhuman treatment of prisoners is regrettable and reflects poorly on society as a whole but what can be done to alleviate such conditions without compromising the function of the prisons themselves?

flyman01 @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:42 pm

Interesting. Does anyone have prison stats comparing all countries and their number of inmates? Keep in mind the population can affect number of inmates.

xerxes @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:08 pm

I know that 1 in every 138 Americans is an inmate and that the state of Maryland has more people in its jails than all of Canada.

Scape @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:23 pm

flyman01 flyman01:
Interesting. Does anyone have prison stats comparing all countries and their number of inmates? Keep in mind the population can affect number of inmates.

World Prison Population List(pdf)

flyman01 @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:48 pm

Scape Scape:
flyman01 flyman01:

World Prison Population List(pdf)

Good link, thanks.

Jackass @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:29 pm

Scape Scape:

Just finished watching this on the History channel. Inmates being handcuffed and put in restraint chairs against the manufactures instruction which inevitability leads to the prisoners being suffocated to death. Mentally challenged being routinely tazered. Gassing are weekly occurrences. Guards who speak out are in fear of their lives.

Prisons are not country clubs. With the sheer volume of prisoners in the US it is expected that there will be some transgressions. Inhuman treatment of prisoners is regrettable and reflects poorly on society as a whole but what can be done to alleviate such conditions without compromising the function of the prisons themselves?

I dont know call me what ya want but prisoners deserve to be tortured, especially convicted child molesters, rapists, murderers etc. Why should the animal be given three meals a day and free room and board without a little retribution? I mean sure the misdemeanor offenses dont deserve that treatment but I think you would be hard pressed to find those prisoners being mistreated.

flyman01 @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Jackass Jackass:
Scape Scape:

I dont know call me what ya want but prisoners deserve to be tortured, especially convicted child molesters, rapists, murderers etc. Why should the animal be given three meals a day and free room and board without a little retribution? I mean sure the misdemeanor offenses dont deserve that treatment but I think you would be hard pressed to find those prisoners being mistreated.

Its not your right to say who you can torture. If anything it makes you just as bad as the guilty party. They are humans too, and must be treated in a human matter. That is why we have laws to govern. However, I understand your rage.

Tman1 @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Jackass Jackass:
Scape Scape:

Ever hear the word redemption? Sure alot of them deserve worse fates but people can also be redeemed and corrected.

Zipperfish @ Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:34 pm

Jackass Jackass:

I dont know call me what ya want but prisoners deserve to be tortured, especially convicted child molesters, rapists, murderers etc.

Do torturers deserve to be tortured? If so then should the people whose job it is to torture torturers be tortured themselves? And if so, who will torture them? It's a tortuous argument.

Jackass @ Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:48 am

UofSaskatchewan UofSaskatchewan:
Jackass Jackass:
Scape Scape:

Ever hear the word redemption? Sure alot of them deserve worse fates but people can also be redeemed and corrected.

Agreed, I also believe that number is extremely small and if they are prone to really change they are going to change whether they are tazer'd or not.

michaelredeagle @ Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 am

I'm trying to find the link right know, but Northern Arizona University did a stat on the # and came up with one member in every family in arizona will be incarcerated. Damn...

Scape @ Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:02 am

Jackass Jackass:
Scape Scape:

The prisoner who was strangled to death from being put in the retainment chair with handcuffs was there for a minor offense and was only supposed to be there for one night, too bad he didn't survive it. As for torturing child molesters the prisons are torturing not out of policy but because they are dealing with too many inmates and the mentally challenged who should be in a mental ward with the properly trained staff are in jail with staff that use tazers and gas. The sheer number of inmates require jail staff to use extreme measures to keep a lid on things be they child molesters or blue collar thieves. Because the system has to be so brutal to keep the lid on no one is talking least the lid pop off. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

michaelredeagle @ Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:12 am

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_13 ... rangecrime

Funny enough to you realize that these so called hardened criminals had not yet been judged or found guilty, these were not guys in prison but people who had just gotten arrested and were supposedly "innocent until proven guilty". How would you like to have a misunderstanding and end up in there, only to be found innocent but still treated this way? In that state, 60% of those in court are found innocent...

http://pfadp.org/raphillips.html

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/news ... 040222.htm

flyman01 @ Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:11 pm

It amazes me when these reports come out. Sometimes I think that the guys running these prisons are the real mentally unstable people. They like the authority of being in charge, its a natrual high. Of course Im not speaking for the all but some are very sick.

1  2  Next