Canada Kicks Ass
Aretha Franklin : Poll

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:59 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
ridenrain ridenrain:
I didn't know there was a good version of that Africa song...8O

Bad comercial music is one thing and that's the fault of the consumer. I get a fast refresher on what's new from my daughter and if I hear one crappy remix of a good song, I'm going to hurl. I swear they could take a siezed bearing or rabit in a blender and make it a hit with the right publicity behind it.

My vote goes to Team Fiat.

Thems fighting words. Africa by Toto is great. I'm not sure how you can get a "refresher" on new music from your daughter. That seems anti-reality going by every person who ever grew up with uncool parents.

I'm confused...

You said:
$1:
That awful, awful remake of Africa by Toto making the radio rounds is simply dreadful.

So it's the remake of the song that sucks, not the Toto original? I know the Toto song but I didn't know there was a remake, and it dosen't take much imagination to guess it probably sucks.

Yeah.. it it a bit of "that's not music, that's noise" but it has it's fun. She makes me watch things like "stomp the yard" and assorted cheerleader movies and last weekend I made her watch a copy of the 1968 blockbuster "Paint you're wagon".

Aritra looks like she has a track record of playing fast and lose with classics.

fifeboy @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Just a quick poll to see if my tastebuds are up my ass.
Somewhere around your sigmoid colon
ridenrain ridenrain:
She is a great singer but I wish she would just sing the song, not make it her own by wrestling it to the ground.

It's Aretha Franklin, for God's sake man. And I didn't hear any booing from the crowd.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 pm

You know... I I ran a poll that asked if ice was cold, I bet folks like you would find a way to vote against it just because.. :roll:

Pseudonym @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:05 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
You know... I I ran a poll that asked if ice was cold, I bet folks like you would find a way to vote against it just because.. :roll:

Ice isn't cold! Liquid nitrogen is cold!

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:05 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:

I'm confused...

You said:

DerbyX DerbyX:
That awful, awful remake of Africa by Toto making the radio rounds is simply dreadful.

The remake is awful but the original is pure gold just like American Pie. Don Maclean great --- Madonna remake very very bad.

ridenrain ridenrain:
So it's the remake of the song that sucks, not the Toto original? I know the Toto song but I didn't know there was a remake, and it dosen't take much imagination to guess it probably sucks.

Hence my statement about uncool parents. The Africa remake is last 4-5 months or so if that. I have heard it for longer then this debate. You depend on your daughter for first hand music knowledge. I guess we are a long way off from the beatles and the animals on vinyl.

Confusion abated.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Derby: If you recall who does that abomination, pass it on. I'm on a roll hating things and my list is running low.

So here's Aretha at the Clinton inauguration and she's coloring inside the lines.. more or less. Is that an age thing or what?

commanderkai @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Yeah.. it it a bit of "that's not music, that's noise" but it has it's fun. She makes me watch things like "stomp the yard" and assorted cheerleader movies and last weekend I made her watch a copy of the 1968 blockbuster "Paint you're wagon".

Wait...did they have a Parody of "Paint Your Wagon" in the Simpsons? That was the actual movie title? Wow

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Derby: If you recall who does that abomination, pass it on. I'm on a roll hating things and my list is running low.

Be warned. This is Fu**ing awful. (karl Wolf)

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 pm

No. Side Show Bob did the Gilbert & Sulivan opera "Pirates of Penzance" on a houseboat but I don't recall them doing "Paint you're wagon". It was a glorious operetta with Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin and Ray Walston in an all singing, all dancing extravaganza.

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:18 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
No. Side Show Bob did the Gilbert & Sulivan opera "Pirates of Penzance" on a houseboat but I don't recall them doing "Paint you're wagon". It was a glorious operetta with Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin and Ray Walston in an all singing, all dancing extravaganza.

The Simpsons did indeed do Paint your wagon in an all singing episode.

It sucked.

Axeman @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Aretha WAS a GREAT singer. But she's 65 years old and there just ain't much left in her. She did her best, but it wasn't very good.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
ridenrain ridenrain:

Be warned. This is Fu**ing awful. (karl Wolf)

Wow. That sucked! Nice babe but so what?
What the hell does that have to do with the original song?
It's like words have lost all meaning in modern music.

Robair @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
I didn't know there was a good version of that Africa song...8O

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:25 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:

Wow. That sucked! Nice babe but so what?
What the hell does that have to do with the original song?
It's like words have lost all meaning in modern music.

Modern music? I think Toto makes it.

I told you the remake sucked and sucked hard.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm

What the hell.

I didn't know that Simpsons episode existed.
What a hoot.

Frightening that they include Lee Van Cleef:
Leevan.jpg
Leevan.jpg [ 13.71 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Spagetti western fans know him from The good the bad and the ugly and all the Sabata films.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next