Canada Kicks Ass
Aretha Franklin : Poll

1  2  3  4  5  Next

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Just a quick poll to see if my tastebuds are up my ass.
She is a great singer but I wish she would just sing the song, not make it her own by wrestling it to the ground.

TattoodGirl @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Considering it is ripped off from God Save the Queen...make it what ever anyone wants I guess

Arctic_Menace @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:11 pm

While not exactly something I'd listen to again, it's Aretha-Friggin'-Franklin. Nuff said.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14 pm

So just because she's Aretha-Friggin'-Franklin, she can't butcher a song?
What.. did she get coatching from Rosie O'Donnell?

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 pm

This sprang from .......?

Oldies station retrospective?

Pseudonym @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Be that as it may, I can't really hate Aretha. People show their patriotism in different ways. I might have preferred something a bit more traditional, but that's just the old man in me talking.

Robair @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:21 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
So just because she's Aretha-Friggin'-Franklin, she can't butcher a song?
What.. did she get coatching from Rosie O'Donnell?
Okay, now you've taken it a little too far. Butchered? Comparing it to Rosie O'Donnell? It may not be your style of singing, but it was executed very well in the style it was done.

Did anybody else see that award show years ago when Pavaroti was supposed to preform but wound up with a throat infection and Aretha stepped in at the last minute and sang for hime?

That's stepping in at the last minute to sing opera. She's awesome. Her voice is deafinatly sounding a little older and weaker now though, kind of sad.

Thanos @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 pm

This happens all the time down in the US. For some reason perfomers think that they have to nuke the national anthem and other patriotic songs in public performances. Must be some kind of goofy Yankee thing, just like the obsession with obnoxious SUV's and blondes with big phoney funbags.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 pm

She has a terrific voice but I don't think that songs of that stature and importance should be improvised upon.

How it could have been done:

(This video gets a bit soppy and extended so ignore the images and concentrate on the voice. )

.. although this one is pretty good too:
http://www.fugly.com/videos/6196/renaul ... _thee.html

PJB @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:33 pm

WTF Did she do to that song! My dogs left the room!

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:35 pm

There have been worse remakes. Madonna's remake of American Pie tops the list.

That awful, awful remake of Africa by Toto making the radio rounds is simply dreadful.

ridenrain @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 pm

I didn't know there was a good version of that Africa song...8O

Bad comercial music is one thing and that's the fault of the consumer. I get a fast refresher on what's new from my daughter and if I hear one crappy remix of a good song, I'm going to hurl. I swear they could take a siezed bearing or rabit in a blender and make it a hit with the right publicity behind it.

My vote goes to Team Fiat.

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
I didn't know there was a good version of that Africa song...8O

Bad comercial music is one thing and that's the fault of the consumer. I get a fast refresher on what's new from my daughter and if I hear one crappy remix of a good song, I'm going to hurl. I swear they could take a siezed bearing or rabit in a blender and make it a hit with the right publicity behind it.

My vote goes to Team Fiat.

Thems fighting words. Africa by Toto is great. I'm not sure how you can get a "refresher" on new music from your daughter. That seems anti-reality going by every person who ever grew up with uncool parents.

commanderkai @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Eh...I liked traditional performances of it, but I've heard much, much worse.

DerbyX @ Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
Eh...I liked traditional performances of it, but I've heard much, much worse.

Sharon, Lois, and Bram dose not count.

1  2  3  4  5  Next