Canada Kicks Ass
Aretha Franklin : Poll

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

bootlegga @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 am

That reminded me of the Simpsons episode when Bleeding Gums Murphy sang the Star Spangled Banner at an Isotopes game for 10 minutes.

roger-roger @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 am

Robair Robair:
You are also against an orchestra's rendition of a national anthem then?
Maybe we should just have one national recording of somebody singing the anthem and that's all we ever hear. Wouldn't want to displease anyone.

Orchestral is hardly rocking it out.

Robair @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Robair Robair:
Maybe we should just have one national recording of somebody singing the anthem and that's all we ever hear. Wouldn't want to displease anyone.

Ah but it is 'performing' it, isn't it?

How about on the bugle? How about jazzing/rapping/bluesing/techno-ing the anthem?

bagpipes?

Given the proper arena, event or occasion, there's nothing wrong with any of the different renditions. Don't rock it at a funeral, and don't rap it at a hockey game. :P

roger-roger @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Robair Robair:
Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Robair Robair:

Ah but it is 'performing' it, isn't it?

By preforming I mean trying to razzle and dazzle something so you seem more talented then you already are.

Robair Robair:
How about on the bugle?

are you talking about a single bugle doing the national anthem? That would be alright if it he was not trying to 'show off' to the crowd.

Robair Robair:
How about jazzing
No my understanding is that most of the appeal about jazz is that it's ability to be spontaneous. You shouldn't start adding notes to an anthem.

Robair Robair:
rapping
No

Robair Robair:
bluesing
I like blues, but no. I dont think BB King would do any better than Aretha did.

Robair Robair:
techno-ing the anthem?

Hell no

Robair Robair:
bagpipes?
Yes, if you have drums and brass. Not alone.

Robair Robair:
Given the proper arena, event or occasion, there's nothing wrong with any of the different renditions. Don't rock it at a funeral, and don't rap it at a hockey game. :P

I can give a little to that statement, if you’re at a rock concert and the headliner wants to start off with a rendition of the national anthem, go for it. Just dont try it at any ceremonial function.

Robair @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. In the end the performer and event organizer have to answer to the audience. Whoever that audience may be.

No need to throw blanket statements around about a certain genre, they all have their place.

roger-roger @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Im just saying that there is a reason the national anthem is played at events, and it shouldnt be screwed with. The Americans love to screw with their anthem because they feel they have to, to make it better. Personally I love the Canadian anthem the way it always has been, it doesnt need to be tweaked or jazzed up, it is timeless the way it is.

fifeboy @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm

ziggy @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Our's has been sung in Cree at some hockey games.

roger-roger @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:00 pm

I sure they sing it in French at Quebec games as well.

ziggy @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Jimi Hendrix rocking the anthem at woodstock!

Robair @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Im just saying that there is a reason the national anthem is played at events, and it shouldnt be screwed with. The Americans love to screw with their anthem because they feel they have to, to make it better. Personally I love the Canadian anthem the way it always has been, it doesnt need to be tweaked or jazzed up, it is timeless the way it is.

And I'm just saying that's YOUR opinion. You are entitled to it. Realize, however, that at a hockey game (for example) the opinion of the majority may not be the same. The rendition fifeboy just posted has been played for at least one hockey game to huge applause. For the last note he plays it behind the neck and there's a maple leaf on the back of his guitar. It's pretty good (in my opinion :P ).

Pimpbrewski @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 pm

And this is how the national anthem should be performed. :)

roger-roger @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Ya it started off good but started to get weird at the end.

ridenrain @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Robair Robair:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. In the end the performer and event organizer have to answer to the audience. Whoever that audience may be.

No need to throw blanket statements around about a certain genre, they all have their place.

That's why this is a poll, so folks get to express their opinions. I didn't see anyone here dumping on the singer but it looks like most here didn't appreciate her interpretation of a classic.

fifeboy @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Robair Robair:
Eisensapper Eisensapper:

And I'm just saying that's YOUR opinion. You are entitled to it. Realize, however, that at a hockey game (for example) the opinion of the majority may not be the same. The rendition fifeboy just posted has been played for at least one hockey game to huge applause. For the last note he plays it behind the neck and there's a maple leaf on the back of his guitar. It's pretty good (in my opinion :P ).
Remember too that the national anthem used to always be played on those abysmal organs in the old arenas.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next