Canada Kicks Ass
Email from an American Visitor

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Evan @ Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:00 pm

How many Canadians are in the American military that would refuse to fight?
how many canadians would come home to fight or just fight from the inside out?

Its hard to say what would happen. there would be warning sighs and someone would step in to stop it before it happened.

but my point was in all seriousness we are very lucky to be living next to the country we are. We may not agree with them all the time but when was the last time we suidide bombed each other?

We are lucky!!!

feeko @ Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:31 pm

I have to say this about my country, I'm 37 and its not the same one I grew up in...rev your on the right track..I think the biggest thing that has screwed up the U.S.is the social revolution of the 60's...those kids now run the show..so to speak....mom used to stay home w/ the kids..now shes a career gal....so daycare raises our kids...then the drugs...opened the door to bad behavior and no ones accountable.....its now ok to cheat...hell look at our [ supposed ] sports heros.if this stuff went on when i was a kid.they'd be boo'd off the field...now it is all about the money

they changed america alright...and not for the better

we have slowly been losing rights ..mostly in the name of public safety and we still pay a hella lot o taxes...good health care is a privlidge not a right......i m h o....
oh well....what can i really do about it?

money , greed, lust , avorice , sloth..gluuttany ..all well in america

Aaron @ Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:38 pm

What a great email..

and cool avatar Trevor!! 8)

vegwards @ Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:43 am

Wellll....my 2 cents? First off, Welcome! to all our American brothers..
I've been to the states a very few times, but always on some sort of road trip that took through at least a couple of states. It's on that kind of trip that you really get to meet the people. Without fail, all my experiences have been great. I never met any American that wasn't as friendly, helpful and pleasant as anyone in Canada. I never met anyone that begrudged me being Canadian.

We are most fortunate to be allied with these people. They are strong and honest, kind and compassionate.

Just as in Canada, their government can and does fuck up regularly. We MUST remain proud to have the longest undefended border in the world.

Canadaka @ Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:03 am

Aaron Aaron:
What a great email..

and cool avatar Trevor!! 8)

thanks man, good to see you back on the forums

Yankeerugger @ Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:19 pm

Listen, this thread was started by a well meaning yank, who wanted to show his admiration for your nation and its wonderful people and let you know that not all (few) people down here think anything but positive thoughts of you. Lets not turn this into a discussion about 'what if we went to war AGAINST each other' rant.... Very childish, and pointless as it would never happen. If any government here were to persue such idiotic policy, there would be a greater liklyhood of an inturnal revolution of the people (who as you all know are armed to the teeth :lol: ) then for our government to ever launch an attack. Our people would never stand for it, we look at you as brothers/sisters. We would die to protect you, and not think twice about it!

Rev_Blair @ Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:40 pm

A couple of things..first of all never say never, Yankee. It shouldn't happen and I don't want it to happen, but if PNAC is any indication...I'll fight before I'll submit. It has little to do with American people and a lot to do with the US ruling class, but that's the bottom line.

Just getting back to Feeko for a bit....I think it has a lot to do with the boomers, but not with what they said they wanted to be during the sixties. I think they largely gave up during the eighties and embraced the whole "greed is good" thing. Yeah, thinking you can change the world by gobbling acid is stupid, but it isn't nearly as harmful as actually changing the world by gobbling money.

Streaker @ Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
"Hey I am an american who has lived in michigan all my life. I have been to windsor and toronto a lot and really love your country. I joined the military and since I have been in I have gotten the chance to train with soldiers and sailors from your country. You truly have one if not the best country in the world. The reason for writing this is it sounds like some of the canadians on this site feel like america does not respect them. Well i'm here to tell you that I do and I have always been proud to serve with the men of your country. I see it this way Canada and America are like two brothers. No matter how much we pick on eachother we are always there for eachother when in need. I hope that the canadians on this site understand that there are a lot of americans who love canada and only want to have our brotherhood grow stronger. There will always be those few who are ignorant and I apologize for that. I hope to explore your country more when I get back to mine. T!
ake care of yourself and god bless Canada and America."
- Brad

Nice stuff... touching sentiment.

One correction, though: We aren't brothers (why do some people insist on describing the relationship in such manipulatively sentimental terms?), we're neighbours, and Americans should never assume that Canada will always "be there" for them when they screw up and get themselves into yet another mess.

SprCForr @ Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:10 pm

He's a very bad man! :lol:

Calumny @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 am

$1:
I don't think the American people got lost so much as they've been led down the garden path and are now being pimped out and don't even know it.

True for Canada, and many others, as well.

In a truly democratic society, e.g., one where 'the people' have direct influence over decisions made for the nation, how many of the decisions currently made 'on our behalf' by government would ever be made?

Would lots of folks vote 'yes' for any proposition that "private corporations should have the power to enforce trade policy that may adversely affect our national sovereignty and independence." (taken from the SPP as treason article).

Apparently not.

Enjoyed the email. Good reminder that once you strip the 'nationality' labels away, the similarities between people far out number the differences.

Ruxpercnd @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Streaker Streaker:
Canadaka Canadaka:
"Hey I am an american who has lived in michigan all my life. I have been to windsor and toronto a lot and really love your country. I joined the military and since I have been in I have gotten the chance to train with soldiers and sailors from your country. You truly have one if not the best country in the world. The reason for writing this is it sounds like some of the canadians on this site feel like america does not respect them. Well i'm here to tell you that I do and I have always been proud to serve with the men of your country. I see it this way Canada and America are like two brothers. No matter how much we pick on eachother we are always there for eachother when in need. I hope that the canadians on this site understand that there are a lot of americans who love canada and only want to have our brotherhood grow stronger. There will always be those few who are ignorant and I apologize for that. I hope to explore your country more when I get back to mine. T!
ake care of yourself and god bless Canada and America."
- Brad

Nice stuff... touching sentiment.

One correction, though: We aren't brothers (why do some people insist on describing the relationship in such manipulatively sentimental terms?), we're neighbours, and Americans should never assume that Canada will always "be there" for them when they screw up and get themselves into yet another mess.

Streaker, streaker, streaker.... What's the matter, can't stand a warm-fuzzy hug from an American? Well, we may be quite literally, brothers. I bet there is a lot of shared DNA across our borders. Anyway - Americans who really know Canada and have visited Canada, pretty much love Canada. Sorry about that. Canada Forever!

There is about as much chance of America invading Canada as of America invading the State of Oregon. Which means..... very, very little chance. And... we are co-dependent. That means America depends on Canada just as much as the other way around. And..... I don't think American interests even come close to steering Canadian politics. That would be like trying to herd cats.

So... rock on Canada!

kenmore @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 pm

the US will not invade Canada.. they would try and negotiate it.. buy it maybe. but not attack it.. been tried before eh?

Individualist @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:56 pm

"We aren't brothers (why do some people insist on describing the relationship in such manipulatively sentimental terms?)"

But we are brothers.

America is the rebellious older brother that got tired of being bossed around by Mom and Dad and ran away from home.

Mom and Dad (and all the teachers) expected the older brother to be a failure, but he became a success, in defiance of their dire predictions.

Canada is the always well-behaved little brother that always resented his older sibling's popularity and charisma. Little brother always tried to please Mom and Dad and pretty much everyone else around him, and he was well-liked by others. But that never translated to the level of attention older brother always managed to get, even if that attention was sometimes negative.

Little brother wasn't in a hurry to vacate the nest. In fact, Mom and Dad finally had to kick him out of the house and force him to get his own place. Little brother was always the favourite of the teachers, because he always did his homework and always played well with others. In fact, little brother often volunteered to be hall monitor, and he functioned particularly well in that capacity, even if he sometimes lacked the requisite assertiveness.

Big brother would get into a lot of fights, and even had the odd run-in with the law. But he was successful nonetheless, and did very well with the girls, who were drawn to his bad boy ways, despite their frequent protests to the contrary.

Where little brother didn't feel the need to be polite and self-deprecating was when the topic of his troublemaker sibling came up. All the bile and bitterness that he suppressed when dealing with friends and strangers alike came out whenever he saw or spoke of his older brother, who responded to his kid brother's resentment and relentless critcism with little more than a dismissive shrug. This of course only served to make little brother even more angry and resentful.

ManifestDestiny @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Streaker Streaker:
we're neighbours, and Americans should never assume that Canada will always "be there" for them when they screw up and get themselves into yet another mess.

Excuse us when did Canada ever bail us out of trouble?

I love Canada. My wife is Canadian, my children are half Canadian, but than people like streaker really show the bad side of Canadians, its even worse when you meet them in person, I mean I have almost gone to fists a couple of times.

but on average most of us are the same want the same etc. etc.

kenmore @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Canadian have come to the aid of Americans many times.. always willing to go when there is a need. from sending our Hydro guys when the ice storm knocked out power. to hurricane relieve and flood disaster. we always send manpower and money.. we took in Americans who ended up being caught in the air during nine eleven.. and it was Canadians that did more for the people of the south during hurricane Katrina than the bush administration.. so ya we do our part for the US... and we send our military to help the US in someway or other..

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next