Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  Next

fifeboy @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Even better

Call Ottawa, I think I see Mongols

Tman1 @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Its the structure that counts.

Caelon @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:05 pm

There were several reasoned responses to the thread based on either economics or social programs.

The economics of unhindered trade would generate greater wealth for the geographic area of Canada. Even with all the current restrictions the US is still 80% of our exports. Without a border and unfair tarriffs that trade would increase and more wealth would flow into Canada.

The political aspect would prevent any merger of the two countries for a considerable length of time. Canada only has 10% of the population of a NAU without Mexico. It would be a joining of unequal partners, which means everything is done the way of the population might. We would adopt the American political system with elections taking two years instead of 6 weeks. The senate would have 2 representatives from each province/state and that means our voice would be lost. Generating change in the larger country to adopt some of the positive aspects of Canada would become exceedingly difficult. Canada already has regional disagreements and having a disjointed voice in a larger entity would guarantee that legilation would not reflect regional needs.

There is also the differences between federal and provincial powers compared to the US federal/state split. Many Canadians would be uncomfortable with adopting the complete US political system. Conversely Americans would have a lot of trepidation in modifying their current political system in order to create a larger North American nation that is more comfortable for Canadians.

What is more feasible is an expansion on NAFTA. A NAFTA with teeth to severely punish the country that loses in international courts such as the soft wood lumber dispute. Under the current system the loser has gained 2 years or more of restricted trade benefits with the negative impact on the other nation's companies before they are forced to return to playing by the rules. The current political climate means that any positive changes in NAFTA will be a few years off.

At this time there are more reasons for Canada and the US to stay as independant nations as opposed to creating a larger nation.

Tman1 @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm

I find it funny that people are still attempting to put a feasible point to the question.

Hillbillybob @ Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I took the time to read this whole thread as I don't want to see the two countries become one.

I'm planning a move North but only after spending the last 2 1/2 years crossing the boarder seeing just how much freer Canadians are than Americans, something I wouldn't have believed when I started seeing my Love.

I also can see the difference in how the news is broadcast to Canadians and here in the Midwest of the USA. I have learned much about Canada and have come to both respect and Love the Canadian way of life.

You will never hear of the good things about Canada here except the fishing and hunting.

I don't see Americans wanting anything to do with Canada as far as making states out of her or even inviting Canada to become part of the USA.

I also from the people that I have met in Canada don't see for the most part any of them wanting to become Americans and I sure can't blame them.

We are filled with lies about the Canadian health care system here and about Freedoms in Canada anywhere from gun ownership to just life in general.

I guess you can say my eyes have been opened and I have fell in love not with just a beautiful woman but a beautiful country.

Hillbillybob

TheFoundersIntent @ Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I love Canadians, but like all family members you don't want them to close.
Therefore I do not wish them to be US citizens.

llama66 @ Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:52 pm

No thanks! I like being Canadian! :rock: :rock: :rock:

garabru @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:24 pm

When I read a lengthy forum in the Globe and Mail featuring Canadians at one another's throats commenting the Jon Stewart vs Jim Cramer showdown on the Comedy Channel's Daily show , I have to sadly think that Canada is part of the US , period . The G&M's debate could just have well been on some local paper or site in Kansas City or Cincinnati.

Chumley @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

What would we call it though?
NAU sounds lame.
How about Amerianada or Canaderica?

hurley_108 @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Chumley Chumley:
What would we call it though?
NAU sounds lame.
How about Amerianada or Canaderica?

I think we should call it Bill.

Caelon @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:44 pm

How about calling it Amess and make the capital Winnipeg as it is the geographic centre. I can see all those good ol boys enjoying the corner of Portage and Main in January.

ziggy @ Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:45 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Chris Harder Chris Harder:
Anyone who seriously promotes union or separation needs to be regarded as traitors and dealt with, on or off the record, take your pick. I'll be happy to put my foot in your ass personally.

I personally suggest we take them all out back and slit their throats.

How very uncanadian of you. :roll:

Public_Domain @ Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:11 am

ziggy ziggy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Chris Harder Chris Harder:
Anyone who seriously promotes union or separation needs to be regarded as traitors and dealt with, on or off the record, take your pick. I'll be happy to put my foot in your ass personally.

I personally suggest we take them all out back and slit their throats.

How very uncanadian of you. :roll:

What is "UnCanadian"? Federalism and Sovereignty?

You're right, I should have threatened something far less emotive.

I'll write a sternly-written letter to those who are committed to destroying my country.

Because I'm a rebel.

You know what's funny? I threatened violence against those who commit treason.
Damn, I forget what used to be the official policy for treating people who
committed treason. What was it again... it certainly wasn't a letter of
cease-and-desist.

There's something for you to quote.

stemmer @ Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:48 am

I can see many benefits to such an union... I would prefer this scenario then what appears to be our present course, globalization under an UN tyranny...

But who's countenance will we put on the new Amero currency???

Mustang1 @ Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 pm

stemmer stemmer:
I can see many benefits to such an union... I would prefer this scenario then what appears to be our present course, globalization under an UN tyranny...

But who's countenance will we put on the new Amero currency???

More tinfoil hat nonsense?!? Do you have a quota to meet for the cabal?

And now you're peddling Canada's sovereignty?!?!? Weren't you just crying about loss of sovereignty to foreign nations? And now you're endorsing it? Crap, how much bigger of hypocrite can you rise to?

Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  Next