Canada Kicks Ass
CKA News "Top Stories"

1  2  3  Next

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:42 pm

I am trying something new with the "News Links". On the top of the homepage 3 stories will be featured with images.

I am still working out the backend to this, but here is how it works so far:

1) checks if any news from the last 48 hours is marked as a "top story".
2) if there isn't 3 "top stories" from the last 48 hours it searches for news in the last 24 hours that has the highest rating & hits, too fill in the 3 spaces.
3) if the 'filler' top story doesn't have an image a placeholder is shown.

I am going to give some people "News Mod" access to mark stories as a "Top Story" and a picture.
I am working on a way for regular members to submit a news picture for "top stories" without an image.

I am also working on the ability for an image to be added to any news link (optional).

I will be contacting a few members to ask them if they want to be dedicated News editors/mods to make sure the news is always updated and moderated.

I'm also thinking about making some other changes to the homepage to make it more news-related. Any ideas are welcome. I was thinking about make a Canadian Dollar exchange rate, and maybe bringing back the NHL Scores block.

wildrosegirl @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:58 pm

That would explain why the home page is all gibbled at the moment.

Canadaka Canadaka:
and maybe bringing back the NHL Scores block.

:D

THAT would be awesome!

Hyack @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:48 pm

There is lots of room for the NHL scores to the left of the Members List Trev.....no time like the present R=UP R=UP

Hyack @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Thu·Fri. 10/19·Sat
Hurricanes
Penguins 3
3 07:52
3rd LIVE Glog
Blue Jackets
Sabres 2
0 02:32
3rd LIVE Glog
Avalanche
Blackhawks 0
3 07:41
2nd LIVE Glog
Kings
Canucks
10:00pm Preview

Lookin' good Trev, thanks

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 pm

I added the "Hockey Scores" block to the bottom left of the homepage for members. You can scroll back and forth days to see past scores and upcoming game times.

The "Submit News" form on the homepage is also now updated to support uploading of a news image. You can select any size image, the forum will allow you to 'crop' the picture after. The image MUST be a JPG though.

Scape @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Image must be a jpg file kept coming up. I ended up posting the same story 4 times.

Scape @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Correction.... 8 times and I can't delete the dam things either with access denied.

Hyack @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 pm

If you want to delete a news item, go to edit and backspace all info out and submit

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:22 pm

i deleted them for you. You should be able to edit and delete your own news links...

I guess you kept refreshing the page when you were trying to submit with a photo?

was the image a ".jpg" file?

I have it so if the image fails, the link still sumbits.. maybe i should change that.

Scape @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:27 pm

No I didn't refresh at all. I got an all blank screen with one line saying must contain a jpg file. So I never saw the that the link got posted. When I went to the main page I saw a list of links and tried the edit and delete and both said access denied.

fatbasturd @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Scape Scape:
Correction.... 8 times and I can't delete the dam things either with access denied.
That ant can't move that rubber tree plant....but he got high hope he got high hopes :D A+ for the determination :D :wink:

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 pm

can someone try submitting a newslink with an image, need to stress test it... I can delete the links if there just bogus.

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:00 pm

oh, thanks for that bug report, fixing it now. Good to see your image worked though.

Do you think it would be faster/easier to be able to add an image from a URL rather than upload from your desktop?

Scape @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:29 pm

How many megapixels in your camera?

Canadaka @ Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Yup its fixed.

The images are also shown in a smaller size on the dedicated "News Links" page: http://www.canadaka.net/news_links
It will look cool with lots of images.

I will work on allowing uploading of images from desktop AND url.

1  2  3  Next