Canada Kicks Ass
A Question For Opponents Of Bilingualism

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

raydan @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Guess some people aren't for diversity... guess we should all be white and English... that would solve all our problems.

Xort @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm

raydan raydan:
Guess some people aren't for diversity... guess we should all be white and English... that would solve all our problems.

Not hardly all, but it would help with some.
~
What good does diversity do?

Would you say areas that were under British rule, when the UK left and bound them together in ways that are easy to draw on a map did those people any favours?

All these different tribes and peoples are now under the rule of one nation, they are very diverse that's great right? Oh wait they are murdering each other. Huh... that didn't work. Well maybe next time we clump diverse people together in geographicly easy ways it will work out better!

Nope... same problem, maybe next time!

Wow they just keep killing each other, you would think that diversity is a problem or something...

~

Clearly highly diverse nations are best which is why Japan is such a terrible place.

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 pm

raydan raydan:

Exactly. I also find it funny that the one bitching everybody should speak English and only English, does not know how to spell correctly in that language.

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Xort Xort:
raydan raydan:

~

Would you say areas that were under British rule, when the UK left and bound them together in ways that are easy to draw on a map did those people any favours?

All these different tribes and peoples are now under the rule of one nation, they are very diverse that's great right? Oh wait they are murdering each other. Huh... that didn't work. Well maybe next time we clump diverse people together in geographicly easy ways it will work out better!

Nope... same problem, maybe next time!

Wow they just keep killing each other, you would think that diversity is a problem or something...

~

Clearly highly diverse nations are best which is why Japan is such a terrible place.
Have you EVER been to Europe? Language difference is NOT a problem there. Just saying.

raydan @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Xort Xort:

That doesn't even deserve an answer. 8O

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Xort Xort:
raydan raydan:

~

I think we have the next Hitler here. 8O

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:37 pm

No...Hitler was quite literate, which is why people listened to him.

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm

$1:
Change who's education system? The nation they left? You are not making much sense.
The Canadian, of course :roll:
$1:
As for they can suffice with another language, I'm not sure that we need people that can just scrap by on the language they have. Setting a standard for the common language seems a lot better. Moving to Edmonton and only speaking French isn't going to do much for the immigrants. May as well just call it setting them up to fail.
You are really stupid, aren't you.
There IS a standard for immigration. You either speak French, or you speak English. If you cannot prove you speak one or the other, visa denied.
My kids did not speak 1 word of English when I moved here. They speak it fluently now. Better than you, actually.

If you want a job in the lower mainland, it might come in pretty handy to speak either Punjabi or Mandarin, besides English. If you want to work for the government, you have to speak English and French. Just because YOU think that that is nonsense, does not make it so.

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:42 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
No...Hitler was quite literate, which is why people listened to him.

I stand corrected...

Xort @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Have you EVER been to Europe? Language difference is NOT a problem there. Just saying.

Is Belgium no longer part of Europe?

raydan raydan:
That doesn't even deserve an answer. 8O

So you are unwilling to provide any answer at all.

Brenda Brenda:

How does changing Canada's education system help adult immigrants learn a useful local language? Unless you are suggesting that we should offer this service to them as well.

I don't think that I want to pay taxes to schools boards to train adult immigrants to try and learn a local language. Canada is a desirable nation, we should be able to filter out people that don't speak a useful local language.

$1:
There IS a standard for immigration. You either speak French, or you speak English. If you cannot prove you speak one or the other, visa denied.
You suggested that not speaking English or French should be acceptable:

"Don't tell immigrants they HAVE to speak English, when they can suffice with Mandarin or Punjabi also."

So you are attacking me for replying to your suggestion and call me stupid for it.
$1:
My kids did not speak 1 word of English when I moved here. They speak it fluently now. Better than you, actually.
Have we met before? I don't think you have heard me speak.

$1:
If you want a job in the lower mainland, it might come in pretty handy to speak either Punjabi or Mandarin, besides English.
I would suggest job experince or credited education would be more important for the large majority of jobs. Some jobs may require it or give preferance, but not very many.

$1:
If you want to work for the government, you have to speak English and French.
Actualy most government jobs have no dual language requirement, although some do note that having another langauge is good.

So I think you are mistaken or in your oh so properly spell checked English you have failed to properly communicate your actual meaning. Did you mean to say that some jobs for the Federal Government have a French and English language requirement? Because that isn't what you actauly wrote. What you wrote means that all government jobs (and in the context of talking about BC the implication is the BC government) require dual languages. Which is totaly and compleatly wrong.

$1:
Just because YOU think that that is nonsense, does not make it so.

And just because you believe something, doesn't make it reality. And just because someone doesn't instantly agree with what you say doesn't make that person stupid.

I don't think you are stupid for holding your beliefs about how good many languages are, and I'm not rude enough to say it to you even if I thought it.

I wonder if you are as rude in person as you are online?

~

EDIT:

You know for someone that seems so stuck up on spelling you sure make a lot of mistakes.

herbie @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Call a gov't office and press 1 for English.
Call Microsoft Canada and press 9 for French.

Takes an American to understand you don't inconvenience 3 out of 4 people and expect them to be pleased by it.

Zipperfish @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Being a European, I don't think it is a bad idea to speak more than one language. I think that both English and French should be mandatory in high school in all provinces and territories, at the same level. I think that for a country that is bi-lingual, everyone should be able to get the education to at least be able to converse in both languages.

Just my $0.02

If you're European and you only speak one langauge, you're a retard. Minimum is two. Most can hack their way through three or four.

But in Europe it's requried. Within driving distance you have people speaking all these languages. In BC where I'm from, it's English. I know a fair amount of French, but it's very difficult to maintain in Vancouver. And if you don't use it, you lose it.

Brenda @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Xort Xort:
Brenda Brenda:

Is Belgium no longer part of Europe?
A few people are a "problem"?

$1:

Brenda Brenda:

How does changing Canada's education system help adult immigrants learn a useful local language? Unless you are suggesting that we should offer this service to them as well.
Ehmm, we do.
$1:
I don't think that I want to pay taxes to schools boards to train adult immigrants to try and learn a local language. Canada is a desirable nation, we should be able to filter out people that don't speak a useful local language.
We do offer that.
$1:
$1:
You suggested that not speaking English or French should be acceptable:

"Don't tell immigrants they HAVE to speak English, when they can suffice with Mandarin or Punjabi also."

So you are attacking me for replying to your suggestion and call me stupid for it.
You missed a part. "or French"
$1:
$1:
Have we met before? I don't think you have heard me speak.
That's your comeback? :roll:
$1:
$1:
If you want a job in the lower mainland, it might come in pretty handy to speak either Punjabi or Mandarin, besides English.
I would suggest job experince or credited education would be more important for the large majority of jobs. Some jobs may require it or give preferance, but not very many.
You are quite naive.

$1:

So I think you are mistaken or in your oh so properly spell checked English
I am sorry, dear, I do not use spell check. Did I mention English is my third language?
$1:
you have failed to properly communicate your actual meaning. Did you mean to say that some jobs for the Federal Government have a French and English language requirement? Because that isn't what you actauly wrote. What you wrote means that all government jobs (and in the context of talking about BC the implication is the BC government) require dual languages. Which is totaly and compleatly wrong.
Just going from what I see. I take it you can show me?
$1:
$1:
Just because YOU think that that is nonsense, does not make it so.

And just because you believe something, doesn't make it reality.
It IS reality. A reality you refuse to accept.
$1:
And just because someone doesn't instantly agree with what you say doesn't make that person stupid.
Nope. I called you stupid because you tried to outsmart me by intentionally read what I wrote wrong.
$1:
You know for someone that seems so stuck up on spelling you sure make a lot of mistakes.
Please, don't hesitate to point them out to me. If I recall correctly, you just mentioned my posts are "oh so properly spell checked". THAT contradiction is what I call stupid.

Xort @ Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Brenda Brenda:
A few people are a "problem"?
You said that it wasn't a problem, I pointed out a problem. Sure it's just one small nations, but the way you said what you did the implication was the Europe didn't have any problems with different langauges within a single nation. Depending on how the political winds blow the 'problem' might blow into a national split.

$1:
Ehmm, we do.
We do offer that.
How or rather why? You just said that without French or English you can come. What reason would you have to teach them a language they already know.

Also my point was publicly funded education for adults that don't speak one of our offical languages, it's possible they are being educated without any government funding. Either way it's just another waste of effort in my mind.

You seem very keen about how easy it is to learn new languages, surely if you can do it, then everyone can. Logicaly then if you can't be bothered to learn the local langauge you shouldn't be able to immigrate right?

$1:
You missed a part. "or French

You said that getting by on those other languages should be good enough, the or French at the end isn't important because the first part of what you said was the part I was in contention with.
Also why are you calling me stupid for replying to what you said? Or did I answer my own question?
$1:
That's your comeback? :roll:
That's my reply to your false statement.
$1:
You are quite naive.
That is possible, but as brown and yellow as the lower mainland might seem, those languages are not very important to know to get a job. You think that years of job related experince would be less valueable than speaking another non offical language in getting a job? That's funny.

$1:
I am sorry, dear, I do not use spell check. Did I mention English is my third language?
Not as of yet to me, but I'm sure given time you go out of your way to inform everyone about it.

$1:
Just going from what I see. I take it you can show me?

I would say do your own job search, but I will be nice.

I will use the city of Surrey:

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/6541.aspx

Title Electrical Inspector 1

Requirements The successful incumbent will have completed Grade 12 and an apprenticeship in the electrical trade. In addition, the candidate will have a minimum of three years experience as a Journeyman Electrician or electrical contractor or an equivalent combination of training and experience.

Nothing said about language.

~~~~

Telecommunications Operator 1

Requirements This position requires the ability to react quickly and tactfully with the public and to handle several matters at one time. We require individuals who can adapt quickly to changing priorities and can communicate with the public in a tactful and professional manner. The position requires working rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays.

Successful candidates will have completed Grade 12, supplemented by some related training and experience. An accurate typing speed of 45 words per minute (testing will be administered). This position requires the completion of the RCMP Reliability Security Clearance. Please note that this is an entry level auxiliary position with the opportunity to advance to regular full-time employment as a Telecommunications Operator 1.

~~~

Well that is just a city government lets look at the BC government:

https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi ... obid=12095
Community Prog Off (EAW) R15
• Effective verbal and written business English skills.

Nothing said about needing French.

https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi ... obid=12072
BUS LEAD - Project Manager, Missions and Events

This one didn't list any language requirements.

https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi ... obid=11964
CLK STN 09R9 - Administrative Clerk and Decision Processor

2. Must have excellent proficiency in both verbal and written communication in English

So 2/3 jobs wanted English, and 0 wanted French.

Have I made my point?

$1:
Nope. I called you stupid because you tried to outsmart me by intentionally read what I wrote wrong.
I directly answered to what you wrote. If you ment something different you should have wrote something different. Calling someone stupid because they can't figure out what you ment in conflict with what you wrote is kinda silly.

$1:
Please, don't hesitate to point them out to me. If I recall correctly, you just mentioned my posts are "oh so properly spell checked". THAT contradiction is what I call stupid.

It takes me a while to fish out all of my own mistakes to say little of someone elses. Also I don't feel any need to point out other people's errors unless they are either realy funny or make the sentance or statement unintelligible.

Because making an error in spelling or grammar, doesn't make what someone said wrong. I'm willing to communicate with people that make small errors in the structure of the langauge, so long as what they are saying is important or intresting.

Zipperfish @ Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:07 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
How about everyone learn one language...Esperanto. :wink:

Is that still around? I remember my dad learning that when I was a kid.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next