Canada Kicks Ass
What's so great about diversity?

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 14  Next

Individualist @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am

Contrary to the popular perception, many on the Canadian left are not opposed to bigotry. They are simply selective about the types of bigotry they endorse, specifically, that against Western Canadians (especially in the prairie provinces), rural Canadians and the overtly (non-closeted) Christian. Bonus points if you fall within more than one of the categories. And a further bonus for members of those groups who happen to be white, male, straight and cis-gendered.

So if you’re a straight white cis male living in a rural community in Western Canada and belonging to an evangelical Christian denomination, you’re pretty much wearing a target. There are people on the left in Canada who pretty much resent your existence. You are, in their eyes, guilty of all sorts of collective crimes, for which these people will seek to punish you if they ever acquire the power to do so.

BeaverFever @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am

Meanwhile ultra-conservatives such as yourself resent the existence of everyone not willing to accept the inherent supremacy of a conservative straight white Christian male.

The difference is that liberal belief in diversity means they tolerate even the people they resent; whereas conservatives believe the people they hate should be marginalized and eradicated and due to their zero-sum logic they believe that by not persecuting these groups the government persecutes conservatives.

Thanos @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 am

Evangelicals would do themselves a huge favour by leaving other people alone instead of demanding that secular law matches the alleged values of their churches. Won't happen though, ever, because leaving others alone just isn't something they do.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am

Individualist Individualist:
Contrary to the popular perception, many on the Canadian left are not opposed to bigotry. They are simply selective about the types of bigotry they endorse, specifically, that against Western Canadians (especially in the prairie provinces), rural Canadians and the overtly (non-closeted) Christian. Bonus points if you fall within more than one of the categories. And a further bonus for members of those groups who happen to be white, male, straight and cis-gendered.

So if you’re a straight white cis male living in a rural community in Western Canada and belonging to an evangelical Christian denomination, you’re pretty much wearing a target. There are people on the left in Canada who pretty much resent your existence. You are, in their eyes, guilty of all sorts of collective crimes, for which these people will seek to punish you if they ever acquire the power to do so.

Nobody's got it tougher than straight white males.

Individualist @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Meanwhile ultra-conservatives such as yourself resent the existence of everyone not willing to accept the inherent supremacy of a conservative straight white Christian male.

The difference is that liberal belief in diversity means they tolerate even the people they resent; whereas conservatives believe the people they hate should be marginalized and eradicated and due to their zero-sum logic they believe that by not persecuting these groups the government persecutes conservatives.

Straw man nonsense. I oppose the excesses of left-wing identity politics, and reject the doctrine of collective guilt, and that makes me indistinguishable in your eyes from a white supremacist or a Christian theocrat? For one thing, I’m an atheist. And secondly, I am an individualist. I don’t consider another person good or bad based on their ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, etc. but on who that person is as individual and how they personally behave.

And “liberal belief in diversity” often excludes diversity of thought. So no, liberals do not all tolerate those with whom they disagree. Some so-called “liberals” wish to imprison, impoverish or otherwise neutralize those with dissenting viewpoints, particular on matters touching identity politics. Substituting one form of institutionalized oppression for another isn’t a solution. Nor is forcing someone to self-flaggelate for the crimes of their ancestors or for other people who share certain group affiliations with them. And knowing where you’re likely to go next, I know some on the right lump in all Muslims with terrorists. I do not, and such figures on the right don’t speak for me.

N_Fiddledog @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:56 am

$1:
BeaverFever wrote:

Meanwhile ultra-conservatives such as yourself...

Holey Moley! 8O

Just when you thought the bullshit we've heard so far could never be topped, the uber-Prog comes out with this gem.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The difference is that liberal belief in diversity means they tolerate even the people they resent.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Straw man nonsense. I oppose the excesses of left-wing identity politics, and reject the doctrine of collective guilt, and that makes me indistinguishable in your eyes from a white supremacist or a Christian theocrat? For one thing, I’m an atheist. And secondly, I am an individualist. I don’t consider another person good or bad based on their ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, etc. but on who that person is as individual and how they personally behave.

And “liberal belief in diversity” often excludes diversity of thought. So no, liberals do not all tolerate those with whom they disagree. Some so-called “liberals” wish to imprison, impoverish or otherwise neutralize those with dissenting viewpoints, particular on matters touching identity politics. Substituting one form of institutionalized oppression for another isn’t a solution. Nor is forcing someone to self-flaggelate for the crimes of their ancestors or for other people who share certain group affiliations with them. And knowing where you’re likely to go next, I know some on the right lump in all Muslims with terrorists. I do not, and such figures on the right don’t speak for me.

Identity politics were invented by white males at a time when they ruled pretty much absolutely. They decided that people with black skin were inferior and could be own as chattel. They decided that the Indians were savages and that laws and rights for other men did not apply to them. They decided that homosexuality was a moral and criminal offence. They decided that weaker sex could be subjugated by force and denied suffrage.

They also controlled the country--white males, for most of Canada's history, made up in totality the cultural, economical and political elite.

As a white male myself, I reject any notion that I am inferior or guilty of the sins of other white men. However, as a Canadian I cannot absolve myself of the guilt of my country. Crimes committed by Canada are crimes committed by Canadians, by definition. So I fight, for example, for First Nations rights, as a Canadian, because their land was taken from them illegally. And while I accept no guilt, as a white male, I am awake to the fact the white male identity exists and was created by my forebears.

BeaverFever @ Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

The point is your entire post is a straw man and your endless rants and unsubstantiated hyperbole about evil liberals and urbanists being scheming evildoers with sinister ulterior motives is the textbook definition of identity politics. Wake up man.

Individualist @ Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Identity politics were invented by white males at a time when they ruled pretty much absolutely. They decided that people with black skin were inferior and could be own as chattel. They decided that the Indians were savages and that laws and rights for other men did not apply to them. They decided that homosexuality was a moral and criminal offence. They decided that weaker sex could be subjugated by force and denied suffrage.

They also controlled the country--white males, for most of Canada's history, made up in totality the cultural, economical and political elite.

As a white male myself, I reject any notion that I am inferior or guilty of the sins of other white men. However, as a Canadian I cannot absolve myself of the guilt of my country. Crimes committed by Canada are crimes committed by Canadians, by definition. So I fight, for example, for First Nations rights, as a Canadian, because their land was taken from them illegally. And while I accept no guilt, as a white male, I am awake to the fact the white male identity exists and was created by my forebears.

White supremacy and left-wing identity politics are most definitely opposite sides of the same coin. Both are collectivist, in that they reduce an individual down to nothing more than a set of group memberships and shared characteristics. People who subscribe to either ideology would reject MLK’s wish that individuals “not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character”, because they *do* judge people by their skin colour, and by the culture they were born into. They just make different judgements.

Academic Marxists and SJW activists simply hide their group hatreds behind an intellectual veneer, a “just because we want to destroy whiteness doesn’t mean we want to hurt white people” sort of sophistry.

Vbeacher @ Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am

The reason conservatives tend to be opposed to 'diversity' is because proponents of diversity are usually opponents of meritocracy. Our universities are a prime example of that, where people are hired and promoted or accepted into programs on the basis of skin colour in the name of 'diversity' and without regard to merit.

The data is revealing but comes as no surprise,” laments York University professor Pat Armstrong in the press release. “We can and must do better to address discrimination in employment at Canada’s universities and colleges.”
The data are revealing alright. But rather than showing widespread discrimination against non-whites, it actually shows the opposite: not only is the racial makeup of Canada’s professoriate now almost perfectly matched to the national labour force, but the data suggest universities have discriminated heavily against white academics to get there.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/turns-o ... minorities

On April 4, documents obtained by a group suing Harvard University demonstrated that the university’s admissions process has been discriminating against Asian applicants for decades.

As discussed in a complaint filed by 64 Asian-American organizations in 2015, affirmative action requires the SAT scores of Asian applicants to be hundreds of points higher than applicants from other ethnic backgrounds. It has reached a point where mixed-raced Asian applicants will choose to hide their Asian heritage when they apply to Ivy League schools.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... cceptable/

Individualist @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:52 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Where you’re going to start to see genuine hypocrisy, or at least selective morality, on the part of progressives is in the wake of the Toronto mass murder. The same people who so frequently sound the alarm over those who blame Muslims collectively for the terrorist acts of a few are going to be just fine with it being open season on socially awkward, nerdy guys who have trouble attracting women. Feminists have been at it for a while already, channeling high school jocks in their response to these guys, most of whom are just insecure, lonely guys who vent a bit.

Tricks @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 am

Where you’re going to start to see genuine hypocrisy, or at least selective morality, on the part of progressives is in the wake of the Toronto mass murder. The same people who so frequently sound the alarm over those who blame Muslims collectively for the terrorist acts of a few are going to be just fine with it being open season on socially awkward, nerdy guys who have trouble attracting women. Feminists have been at it for a while already, channeling high school jocks in their response to these guys, most of whom are just insecure, lonely guys who vent a bit.

Being socially awkward doesn't make you murder 10 people. That's not why he did this. He did it cause he's a sick piece of garbage.

Individualist @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

Tricks Tricks:

Being socially awkward doesn't make you murder 10 people. That's not why he did this. He did it cause he's a sick piece of garbage.

Preaching to the choir.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:22 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The difference is that liberal belief in diversity means they tolerate even the people they resent;
:lol: :lol: Oh wait, you were serious? Let me laugh even harder then. ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Freakinoldguy @ Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
As a white male myself, I reject any notion that I am inferior or guilty of the sins of other white men. However, as a Canadian I cannot absolve myself of the guilt of my country. Crimes committed by Canada are crimes committed by Canadians, by definition.

So are you saying, by extension all Cambodians are responsible for Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge's reign of terror, all Chinese are responsible for the death of 45 million during the Great Leap forward, all Ugandan's are responsible for the deaths of 300,000 or the French are responsible for the murder of the Catharists?

I could go on and on showing where every country on the planet has caused grief to others but that would be pointless since your "collective" guilt would appear to be fueled more by colour than personal responsibility.

And, please don't use the "we conquered them" excuse because I could create another list of non white countries that visited atrocities on the people they conquered that made what our ancestors did seem like a trip to Disneyland by comparison and yet, none of them feel the same guilt you say we should be feeling or have even tried to make amends. Japan and Korea come to mind.

I'm sorry but this sins of the father attitude is what really prevents progress because it creates victims of people who have long ago stopped being victims and attempts to creates a collective sense of guilt by people who have no reason to feel responsible the actions of their ancestors.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 14  Next