Canada Kicks Ass
Shots fired near Canada parliament

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 21  Next

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am

Shooter still believed at large in downtown Ottawa.
Police searching cars leaving Ottawa trying to go to Quebec.
Report of additional shot fired near Chateau Laurier hotel, east of Parliament Hill.
Police going door to door on Sparks Street; downtown schools in lockdown.
All three main party leaders, Harper, Mulcair and Trudeau, reported safe.

Police sources say there is more than one suspect, and shots have been reported at other locations surrounding Parliament Hill as the downtown area remains in police lockdown.

DanSC @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 am

Keffiyeh obviously suggests a Jihadist, but a scarf is also a great way to protect anyone's identity.

I'm already hearing people* suggest that Canada should pull out of it's mission against ISIS because of this attack.

*not people, rat-bastards who are probably quick to praise Canada's actions against evil in the 1940s.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Is there just the one attacker?

Probably. There's chatter about multiple gunmen but no evidence of them. Had a team gone in to accomplish an objective there'd be more casualties. The absence of massive casualties indicates one poorly trained lone wolf, not a coordinated action.

martin14 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 am

Reuters: Canadian armed forces bases across country are being closed to public after Ottawa shooting of soldier

martin14 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Is there just the one attacker?

Probably. There's chatter about multiple gunmen but no evidence of them. Had a team gone in to accomplish an objective there'd be more casualties. The absence of massive casualties indicates one poorly trained lone wolf, not a coordinated action.

Josh WingroveVerified account ‏@josh_wingrove Globe and Mail reporter

Police saying 3 separate shootings - one in parliament, one at war memorial, one at Rideau Centre mall, via CTV. (still in lockdown)

llama66 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am

I hope this galvanises the population into understanding that ISIS and religious extremism is an enemy to the Canadian (and Western) way of life and that ISIS and all people who share their view needs to be dealt with.

Its time for Canada to find its backbone.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

llama66 llama66:
I hope this galvanises the population into understanding that ISIS and religious extremism is an enemy to the Canadian (and Western) way of life and that ISIS and all people who share their view needs to be dealt with.

Canada knows this. What actions are you suggesting be taken in Canada to deal with ISIS and all people who share their views (ie all the other Islamic terrorist groups)?

DanSC @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 am

llama66 llama66:

Canada has its backbone; that's why the attackers were dealt with so swiftly.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 am

OTTAWA — A gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill and wounded a security guard before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament's sergeant-at-arms.
Despite the shooting of the suspect, police and soldiers continued a chaotic hunt, leading to speculation there was more than one suspect.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 am

martin14 martin14:
Josh WingroveVerified account ‏@josh_wingrove Globe and Mail reporter

Police saying 3 separate shootings - one in parliament, one at war memorial, one at Rideau Centre mall, via CTV. (still in lockdown)

....well, the only reason anyone would conduct an action like this is if it is a diversion for something else. I'd say the lockdown of the bases is in order and I sure hope someone with a spine is ordering weapons and ammo to be issued from the arms lockers.

Still, I'm reluctant to conclude that there's more than one shooter for the moment.

llama66 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 am

Arresting the 90 the RCMP are watching for Terroristic threats would be a start.

DrCaleb @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 am

andyt andyt:
llama66 llama66:

Canada knows this. What actions are you suggesting be taken in Canada to deal with ISIS and all people who share their views (ie all the other Islamic terrorist groups)?

There were reports that the extremist who ran down that soldier the other day was called by several people a 'martyr' on Facebook. They praised his actions.

Bring them in for a long conversation, and bring in anyone on their Facebook profiles with similar views.

You asked the other day what might trigger the wish for more extreme measures against these people in the Canadian public? Well, two soldiers dead on Canadian soil in three days might just be a start.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 am

DanSC DanSC:
llama66 llama66:

Canada has its backbone; that's why the attackers were dealt with so swiftly.

Doesn't take any backbone. Normal situation when dealing with a gunman, no matter their ideology. In BC they shot a man who merely pointed a gun at them. Can't think of a country that just allows gunmen to shoot people and walk away. OTOH, in Canada, if he had laid down his weapon, he would not have been shot. That's maybe where people would be calling for backbone, just have the cops execute him.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 am

llama66 llama66:
Arresting the 90 the RCMP are watching for Terroristic threats would be a start.

On what charges? Do you really think the RCMP has actionable evidence of a crime but aren't arresting anybody? As one cop said on TV, we have freedom of speech in Canada, can't arrest somebody unless they make specific threats. The guy who ran down the soldiers was on this list of 90, but the police had no grounds to arrest him. See how that works? If you want to start arresting people for what they say, there are people here who have advocated violence against Muslims. Should they be arrested too? (Personally at some point I would worry about CKA getting a visit from HRC. Let's hope it continues to fly under the radar.)

llama66 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 am

No, I made the spine comment because there are far too many who apologise for these vermin. We need to be stronger then them and we need to have the spine to do what needs to be done.

Someone bloodies your nose, you don't make excuses as to why they just punched you. You return the favor.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 21  Next