Canada Kicks Ass
Shots fired near Canada parliament

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 21  Next

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
andyt andyt:
I can tell you one thing. CSIS and the police are underfunded. They've stated they don't have the resources to monitor the guys they know about 24/7. It would seem like a wise investment to give them the funds to do so.

I don't want to live in a Canada where everybody is monitored 24/7.

WE don't. Just as Dan says the bad guys du jour. well not even them because the funds aren't there. Surely you don't want them to stop monitoring these guys? I mean we just have to hope that we don't get on that list somehow and all will be good.

DanSC @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

An interesting tidbit: Stephen Harper was to attend a joint event with recent Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai in Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/AshaTomlinson/statu ... 0380233728

Something to investigate.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
andyt andyt:
The car attacker was. Didn't stop him. But yes, CSIS/RCMP need more resources to watch these guys more consistently. Still, a guy driving a car, you don't really what he's up to till he does it.

I guess your definition of "watched closely" is different from mine.

If he was watched very closely, this wouldn't have happened. The second he got out of the car with a long arm the cops watching him would have taken him down.

Christ Boots. The guy with the car who ran down the soldiers. Try to keep up, will ya.

No these guys (sounds like more than one) obviously weren't watched closely enough. The parliament hill shooter actually commandeered a car to drive up to where he did the shooting. Ie he must have been walking around with a rifle for a bit first. Maybe took the bus.

martin14 @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:35 am

Josh WingroveVerified account ‏@josh_wingrove

We are hearing banging in the Parliament building but security very calm. Sounds like maybe battering rams being used to open doors.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:35 am

DanSC DanSC:
An interesting tidbit: Stephen Harper was to attend a joint event with recent Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai in Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/AshaTomlinson/statu ... 0380233728

Something to investigate.

Sure, but very doubtful. The Taliban aren't really into this sort of shit in other countries. And you would think they would have at least tried to get at the event where she was at. Of course a bunch of confused Pakistanis, fresh off the plane, what do they know.

Benn @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 am

Also coincides with our fighters leaving for the middle east.

Hope the soldier pulls through. Hope those doing it don't.

My wife is in a conference next to Rideau Centre where so far is appears there was also gunshots. Her hotel is in lockdown and as far the manger confirms, as does the news, shots fired next door . But in all this, reports are sketchy at best.

Police and EMS, be safe and get the bastards!

DrCaleb @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:41 am

andyt andyt:
REally? People willing to be martyrs for the cause will be deterred? It doesn't even work for regular crazies, why would it work for these guys? The car driver, he got shot because he came at armed police with a knife. Does that sound like somebody that wants to live/

Yes, really. Only legally abiding people would follow a long gun ban, and then only the bad guys would be armed because they don't give two hoots if things like 'murder' are illegal, let alone how many bullets their magazine holds. My way, everybody is equal.

sandorski sandorski:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
andyt andyt:
I say, since long arms were used in the attack on Parliament hill, time to crack down on long arm ownership. No more semi-auto rifles and shotguns.

I say it's time to allow concealed carry for all law abiding citizens. There would have been no attack if he knew everyone around could shoot back.

How about "No" to both of you?

That is the best option.

DrCaleb @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 am

DanSC DanSC:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Not everyone, just the wrong* kind of people.

*as defined by the party currently in power.

Exactly.

I'd be the first up against the wall in the New Order.

Thanos @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 am

Have to give it at least another hour for any accurate reports to come out. Between the Twitter follies and the onslaught of voracious locust-like reporters attracted to the sight of blood the first couple of hours will be notoriously unreliable. CNN and FOX are allegedly poking around too, which will only add to the massive disinformation. 20 years ago their presence would have been good, back when they did mundane stuff like "news", but today we'd get better information if TMZ and the National Enquirer showed up instead.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 am

andyt andyt:
REally? People willing to be martyrs for the cause will be deterred?

Then why do you think a law banning rifles and shotguns will deter them? [bonk]

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Wouldn't it be disappointing if you weren't? :?:

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

It will make it much harder for them to get. Why do you think these guys didn't use automatic weapons - a little squeamish about killing too many people?

Benn @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

sandorski sandorski:
andyt andyt:
I wonder about that, if it was a shotgun. In fact for rifles, what sort of magazine limits do we have in Canada? Probably she was exaggerating in the excitement.

Are these guarding soldiers armed, or just ceremonial? Probably time for armed personnel on guard in parliament. And of course soldiers everywhere need to be more cautious. When the CF18's left cold lake, the media was prevented from showing the faces of the pilots or their families. Time for more precautions like that.

Probably just ceremonial.

Yes just ceremonial. No rounds. I did ceremonial stuff in the past with weapons, only time they were loaded was with blanks for a salute.

Last I knew the military is not allowed (under some act defense?) to walk the streets with live firearms unless martial law is invoked. Could be wrong.

Hyack @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

The only good news I've heard lately aside from the bad guy being shot was that the soldier shot at the War Memorial is still with us, condition unknown, but so far hanging in.

andyt @ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
DanSC DanSC:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Not everyone, just the wrong* kind of people.

*as defined by the party currently in power.

Exactly.

They are already monitoring these guys. Do you want that to stop too, or is 12/5 OK with you?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 21  Next