Canada Kicks Ass
V for Vendetta

1  2  3  Next

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm

A quick review:

This "V" guy is out of some comic book. But the story line is highly reminiscent of the "scare" factor that allied governments seem to be putting their populations through now.

It seems realistic enough, especially in America or the UK for the government to control the media and the stories and actually perpetrate war crimes against its own people and blame it on "terrorists".

Anyways, this "V" guy is a victim of some government experiment and needs to dress like a weirdo because he is all burnt up. He saves Natalie Portman’s sexy ass as she is about to be raped by cops for being out after curfew. Seems like an honest punishment for such a heinous crime.

They become friends even though he has some cliché lines and is kind of a freak.

She saves his ass a while later and he is forced to take her "prisoner" to keep her from being caught by the government and sent to some death camp. She gets away from him only to be captured and so on and so forth....she has her head shaved and to my amazement still looks good.

Added bonus, if your a Portman fan she dresses up in a schoolgirl outfit and shows her ass, plus wherever the movie was filmed it must have been a little "cold" if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, it’s a good movie, good action and well worth the days wages it costs to go to the movies these days. You have to give it a few minutes; the first dialogue is a little cheesy. But after that it becomes a really, really decent movie. Also, its a little longer then the average movie (I'd say about 4 king-cans long because I only brought 3 and I was sitting for 20 minutes wishing I had a fourth).
ImageEvey Hammond: Are you like a crazy person?

usababe @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:28 pm

it's gotten good reviews.

GreatBriton @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:49 pm

The hero, V, dresses up as Guy Fawkes.

Robair @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:04 pm

Whoever the Fawk that is. :?

bootlegga @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 pm

The mask he wears reminds me of creepy marionette. My girlfriend's son saw it and said it was pretty good, and it has gotten a lot of good reviews, but it wasn't the breakout film Hollywood was hoping for. I think I will wait until it goes to second run (discount theatres).

I work in the industry and there were predictions as high as $70 mill for box office last weekend. While it's $25 mill was good enough for #1, Hollywood was quite disappointed as they hoped to get the year going with this film. It was so low that many think Inside Man will kick it out of #1 spot this weekend.

Scape @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Stephen Colbert explains the symbolism

Robair Robair:
Whoever the Fawk that is. :?

Remember Remember the Fifth of November

Yank-in-NY @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

This is a kick ass movie, I saw it last weekend. Awesome, I must see.

WLDB @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:24 pm

I saw it on Sunday and liked it a lot. But one question remains, if V has no eyes how can he see and fight and navigate so well?

Hugo Weaving did a great job though, too bad we never get to see his face. But on the other hand its nice that V was never unmasked as most masked people are before the end of a movie.

Canadaka @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

I saw this movie last week 3 days before it was realeased at a free pre-screening.

I really liked it also, was entertaining.

I also thinkg that our world could be heading down a path like the one of the back history of the movie, so was interesting.

Johnny_Utah @ Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19 pm

I doubt the World will heading down the path of the movie. Still it was a good movie and different in a time when most movies are clones of the same story line over and over.

Zoraja @ Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 am

I saw it a few days ago too and I thought it was really good. SO many cultural references and I jsut love that. ANd that speecha at the beginning, I had to google it and look up like 10 definaitions, I never knew there were so many V words.

Ripcat @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:13 pm

Just watched this on DVD, excellent movie.

Blue_Nose @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:17 pm

I liked it as well... certianly the most enjoyable "comic book movie" I've seen.

They were awfully hard on poor Natalie Portman, though.

Persiana @ Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:22 pm

I saw this a little while ago, absolutely LOVED it. :)

canadian1971 @ Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:40 am

8O Holy sweet fuck.....you guys liked that "movie" Ill admit the had my attention at the very start.....talking about Guy Fox and all but sweet mercy mother of pearl that was a bad movie.....battlestar galatica bad. I use the DVD to vacum my carpets cause it sucks so hard.

$1:
In England the 5th of November is still commemorated each year with fireworks and bonfires culminating with the burning of effigies of Guy Fawkes (the guy).

We did this in Newfieland too....minus the effigies. He was considered a folk hero in Newfieland. 8O

1  2  3  Next