Canada Kicks Ass
Are we ready for an NDP government?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:18 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Herbie, I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

How will the NDP help the average person?

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Vote for those who will do the least damage to you and yours, because none of them are out to do you any good.

Pretty sure that's the only answer to your question OTI. :(

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 am

BRAH BRAH:
The Senate, that's all you've got against Harper? :lol:

"Leads one of the most economically free nations in the world"?

By what measure? We are dead last in the G7 as far as GDP. Dead last in the G7 as far as economic growth too. We are #9 in the world in terms of revenue. We are #194 of 223 countries in terms of birth rate. We are #70 in terms of personal savings vs GNI. We are #20 in terms of child poverty.

Statements like that are very arbitrary and relative. That's the kind of bullshit politicians like to toss around because it sounds good without meaning anything.

OnTheIce @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:26 am

herbie herbie:
I don;t claim Harper is responsible for that kid's death, that's a pretty simplistic conclusion to say anyone is. The kid's merely a symbol for this govt's inept policies there. We promised long ago to take refugees but here's the convenient excuse again that some may be terrorists. Like we aren't capable of fishing them out, so we haven't even started trying to. Now the target's a piddly 13,000 by 2018.
And fuck yeah, they'll support unionization. I live on a pension after 15 years at a union job, my 30 year old daughter's got 8 years in management at her job and makes almost as much as I did when she was born.
Is that what you want to offer your kids? Tough luck we've been through that, deal wiyh it and move on? Enjoy a shittier life, kid?

A good life is all about money?

The problem you and the rest of the NDP have is the notion that we can turn back the clock. The economy isn't the same as it was 30 years ago. It's global, not local. If we intend to move back to policy of 30 years ago, higher taxes, full pensions and more organized labour, our economy will be damaged even further.

BRAH @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

By what measure? We are dead last in the G7 as far as GDP. Dead last in the G7 as far as economic growth too. We are #9 in the world in terms of revenue. We are #194 of 223 countries in terms of birth rate. We are #70 in terms of personal savings vs GNI. We are #20 in terms of child poverty.

Statements like that are very arbitrary and relative. That's the kind of bullshit politicians like to toss around because it sounds good without meaning anything.

So...................... you're not voting for Harper, gotcha.. :wink:

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:05 am

BRAH BRAH:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

I can't. Rona Ambrose is the talking head CPC candidate in my riding. And I don't buy half the shit things she says either.

Zipperfish @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:33 am

It's a little early to be calling the result of the election. I suspect this is the Two Minutes Hate part of the show. The Conservatives are going to have to find another arrow in their quiver besides "fear and loathing" because it's not working.

uwish @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:12 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
It looks like the NDP are on pace to form the next government. Is it going to be a good or bad change?

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/po ... index.html

It would be for the worse IMHO.

We don't need an extreme left or right party, but someone in the centre.

Unfortunately, we're probably going to wind up with one extreme or the other.

This is Canada, we don't really have true extremes, I see most of our parties as being fairly center with a slight left or right tendency.

herbie @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:55 am

But we have many electors unable to realize that. Witness those falling for cliche and unable or unwilling to distinguish between leaning towards Denmark & Norway or endorsing 1980s Bulgaria & Albania.
Shit, even used my exact point of why they can't act extreme in a global economy to imply that they will.

BRAH @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:51 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I can't. Rona Ambrose is the talking head CPC candidate in my riding. And I don't buy half the shit things she says either.

So, you think the NDP (Thomas Mulcair) is a better option? 8O

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:17 pm

BRAH BRAH:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So, you think the NDP (Thomas Mulcair) is a better option? 8O

The second post in this thread answers your question.

uwish @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 pm

herbie herbie:
But we have many electors unable to realize that. Witness those falling for cliche and unable or unwilling to distinguish between leaning towards Denmark & Norway or endorsing 1980s Bulgaria & Albania.
Shit, even used my exact point of why they can't act extreme in a global economy to imply that they will.

the NDP is going to increase spending, and create more social programs...please tell me how this is fiscally better? We do not need more social programs in this nation, we need less!

Jabberwalker @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Those programs are all free!

FREE!!

herbie @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:45 pm

uwish uwish:
herbie herbie:

the NDP is going to increase spending, and create more social programs...please tell me how this is fiscally better? I do not want more social programs in this nation, I want less!

Fixed

uwish @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 pm

who is the we then? Canadians are smart enough to know that you have to pay for these massive programs. Add to the fact they are run by governments implies they are often horridly inefficient.

So Herbie, tell me what costly extra social programs do you want? Obviously you are an NDP supporter so educate me because when you goto the NDP website it doesn't say much. Just very vague we will fix this! no explanation is rendered as to HOW they will or WHO will pay for it (I think we know who will pay for it, but they don't come out and say it). You need a national daycare program?? what is that going to cost? how are you going to pay for it ? raise taxes? you know that 40% of Canadians income already goes to taxes right??? So you think higher spend our way out of recession is the answer?

I am not trying to be an ass, I am asking an honest question because the NDP's website won't tell me!

andyt @ Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Why not wait until they put out their costed platform? That should provide the information you're seeking. OTOH, maybe they will cut some current programs, like income splitting. That costs 2.5 billion a year, yet only benefits 15% of Canadians, mostly upper income. TFSA's raising the limit to 10k, who does that benefit, who has 10k a year to put into savings - upper income. it's not always about just adding costs, but reducing others.

So, again, why not wait for their platform to come out and see what they actually say, instead of just barking at nothing?

Daycare for instance. Yes it's expensive, but Quebec with it's program saw a 5 billion uptick the economy from theirs - this is something employers want as much as families.

A national pharmacare program - would actually save money.

A lot of poverty reduction programs actually save money down the road in less healthcare and justice system costs. The only problem is that the govt putting the money up front doesn't get to reap the rewards that come down the road, as poor kids grow up to be more productive, less problematic citizens.

What social programs do you want to cut?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next