Canada Kicks Ass
MPs topple Liberal government, trigger election

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next

nwe @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:35 pm

Oh noes my Marijuana bill, damn you Steven Harper!!!

But seriously I like to see progress made in the Government and stopping Parliment now isn't going to help anyone. We need things like Asphartame and Nuclear energy banned in Canada NOW not in another 17 months. We're absolutly fucked if political agendas take precendence over protecting our health and enviroment.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:39 pm

QBC QBC:
Ya know, I was hoping that there wouldn't be another election any time soon. This is just another waste of tax payers money and time. Here we go, Xmas eve political adds while you watch "A Christmas Carol". Almost all of this is based on the sponsorship scandal, what a joke. Sad when the desire for power outways the needs of the people who elect them.

I don't think this is all based on the sponsorship scandal. There are some fundamental issues brewing for some time. Sponsorship was just the straw that broke the camel's back, (to use a worn-out metaphor).

The reunion of the Conservatives, the beginnings of private health care, the ongoing soap-opera called le Québec Souveraineté, (now in its 35th season), everything that's happened in the world under the general heading of terrorism, ---a lot has changed since Chrétien first became PM in 1993.

I don't think people vote so much based on past issues as they do on their assessment of the future. Which is good news for the Liberals.

The best thing they could do now is dump Martin, and pick someone clean.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:43 pm

$1:
Sponsorship was just the straw that broke the camel's back, (to use a worn-out metaphor).

Straw?? maybe if the straw is made from the core of a black dwarf star.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:43 pm

nwe nwe:
Oh noes my Marijuana bill, damn you Steven Harper!!!

But seriously I like to see progress made in the Government and stopping Parliment now isn't going to help anyone. We need things like Asphartame and Nuclear energy banned in Canada NOW not in another 17 months. We're absolutly fucked if political agendas take precendence over protecting our health and enviroment.

"Health and enviroment" ARE poilitical agendas.

And it's only by embracing politics and doing something that you're ever going to achieve something for your agendas.

QBC @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:44 pm

Too late to dump Martin. Maybe if they had done it a couple of months ago so there was time for a new leader to become known to people maybe.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:46 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
Sponsorship was just the straw that broke the camel's back, (to use a worn-out metaphor).

Straw?? maybe if the straw is made from the core of a black dwarf star.

I believe I was making the point that there's been no real public assessment of the political future of the country since Chrétien left.

And 'sponsorship' has only ever been about who pin the blame on, not about anything substantive.

It's not like there was a pro-corruption faction out there.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm

QBC QBC:
Too late to dump Martin. Maybe if they had done it a couple of months ago so there was time for a new leader to become known to people maybe.

You couldn't have had just a "Martin's heir" as PM.

You would need an outsider to wrest control.

There must be a Brutus in the Liberal party somewhere.

TheGup @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:51 pm

The Liberals don't HAVE a person to replace Paul Martin. Who? Anne McLellan, who may very well lose her seat this election? Jean LaPierre, formerly of the Bloc Quebecois? Their only choice is Michael Ignatieff, and he is not well known enough (and possibly too radical).

QBC @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:52 pm

Plus the fact Jaime, it's not like corruption is a purely Liberal phenomenom. I'm sure every government has had it over the term of our country and it surely isn't just here in Canada. Power attracts people who want to exploit it for their own benefit. For anyone that thinks it will stop forever if the Liberals are defeated, wake up.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:58 pm

QBC QBC:
Plus the fact Jaime, it's not like corruption is a purely Liberal phenomenom. I'm sure every government has had it over the term of our country and it surely isn't just here in Canada. Power attracts people who want to exploit it for their own benefit. For anyone that thinks it will stop forever if the Liberals are defeated, wake up.

That's actually my point. The corruption in the sponsorship scandal doesn't play against Liberals only, it plays against Ottawa generally.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:00 pm

TheGup TheGup:
The Liberals don't HAVE a person to replace Paul Martin. Who? Anne McLellan, who may very well lose her seat this election? Jean LaPierre, formerly of the Bloc Quebecois? Their only choice is Michael Ignatieff, and he is not well known enough (and possibly too radical).

Someone unknown is exactly what they need.

Get it? Someone clean? A fresh face?

But there probably is not enough time, even with a two month election. Sometimes you have to go to an election with the candidate you have.

TheGup @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:02 pm

But someone with a fresh face could be turned completely against them. The Conservatives could pull a series of "hidden agenda" commercials about the leader. They might also comment on their lack of political experience. After Paul Martin, the Liberals are in trouble.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Corruption and scandal has always been part of politics and always will. It might be a pessimistic view, but it's also a realistic one. Mulroney had his fair share of scandals and corruption, which is what eventually destroyed the old PC party.

Jaime_Souviens @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:08 pm

TheGup TheGup:
But someone with a fresh face could be turned completely against them. The Conservatives could pull a series of "hidden agenda" commercials about the leader. They might also comment on their lack of political experience. After Paul Martin, the Liberals are in trouble.

Anything could happen.

After the Watergate scandal in the U.S., the best candidate was someone no one had ever heard of before - Jimmy Carter.

So, when's Gomery II due out?

TheGup @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Just for the record...I agree with you. It would be ideal if all of the parties selected a new leader...But I'm not banking on it.

I believe Gomery 2's due out in mid - February. I may be wrong, though.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next