Canada Kicks Ass
SECOND ENGLISH DEBATE - SECOND DÉBAT ANGLOPHONE

1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next

maple_leaf1 @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:59 pm

:?:

maple_leaf1 @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:04 pm

I believe Harper gave some very good arguments and I also agree with his vision of our great country more than other leaders.

Paul Martin seemed very nervous and jumpy. Still think he avoids questions instead of giving direct answers...in most cases.

Gilles Duceppe also had some good argument and made a few good points. Although, I don't agree with his seperatist views.

Jack Layton was wayyy too serious. He should learn to smile a bit more. It would help him...He does have some good views too. But I don't believe he/his party could form governement.

cdncutie @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:07 pm

If it is purely a question of who is the best debatter, it is Gilles Duceppe by far. He is intelligent, articulate and well reasoned. It is unfortunate that he leads the separtist party.

Schleihauf @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:17 pm

Just finnished watching the debate. Jack Layton seemed to have won the debate. The NDP was more positive and focused more on why you should vote for the NDP. The Conservatives definatly lost the debate. Stephen Harper had nothing good to say. The only thing Stephen Harper said was that the Liberals were bad. He also seemed to be mainly on the defensive. Paul Martin seemed to have the whole "Im not a crook" Richard Nixon thing going on. The Liberals got the chance to say some good things about what they have done and plan to do but Paul Martin was constantly attacked by all the other parties. It seemed like Gilles Duceppe was trying to hide the fact that he wanted to have a refferendum. Most of the time Gilles Duceppe was trying to point out why the other parties are bad but he did do a good job at it.

Theres my interpretation of the debate who next?

maple_leaf1 @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 pm

cdncutie cdncutie:
If it is purely a question of who is the best debatter, it is Gilles Duceppe by far. He is intelligent, articulate and well reasoned. It is unfortunate that he leads the separtist party.

True. Very smart man. If only he was on the "good" side. :?

AngloAngst @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm

I didn't expect Paul Martin to sign his death warrant on live TV, but I'll accept his choice.

KILL THE NOTWITHSTANDING CLAUSE!!!!! What is he smoking! We haven't got full agreement on the current version of the constitution and he thinks he's going to casually open up that hornet's nest and hand power to the unelected, un-accountable Supreme Court. Did he make that up on the fly, or did the Board pull it out of their asses 2 or even 3 hours beforehand?

Bodah @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:24 pm

You need a fith otpion, no one. I didn't see any knock out blows there.

Gunbunny @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Paul Martin: Looked like a man on the defencive for the majority of the night, and he tended to sidestep some of the questions asked of him. Body Language told the story for Paul.

Gilles Duceppe: Argued well with the policies, but had some trouble translating in his head. On that he was well articulated. He has one great problem, he was in the wrong place, tomorrow will be a much better night for him.

Jack Layton: Structured his responces the best out of all the leaders. He was smart and quick witted but needs to work on the lack of a smile. He also needs to work on that finger pointing thing, it doesn't work and makes him look a little meaner than he actualy is

Steven Harper: Played the game according to the Conservitive game plan. He was calm, cool and collected. He didn't waver from his policies and he looks like a man in control. No matter what the polls say, he looks like, and is conducting himself, very much like a Prime Minister should.

Scape @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Didn't like the smirk on Harpers face, made his points seem condescending wanted to smack it off. I would have liked him better if I heard him instead of watched him.

Duceppe won the debate and also got a good exchange going between himself and Martin and forced him to address the difference between what it is to be a strong nation with the 'why aren't we a part of the US then' line easily defeating Martin's Capitan Canada shtick.

Layton tried but didn't impress. I think he will be lucky to get 15 seats this time.

hwacker @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Scape Scape:
Didn't like the smirk on Harpers face, made his points seem condescending wanted to smack it off. I would have liked him better if I heard him instead of watched him.

Duceppe won the debate and also got a good exchange going between himself and Martin and forced him to address the difference between what it is to be a strong nation with the 'why aren't we a part of the US then' line easily defeating Martin's Capitan Canada shtick.

Layton tried but didn't impress. I think he will be lucky to get 15 seats this time.

Duceppe can't speak english, how could he win ?

IcedCap @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:39 pm

maple_leaf1 maple_leaf1:
Jack Layton was wayyy too serious. He should learn to smile a bit more.

8O 8O 8O :lol: I'd never thought I'd see those words written about Smiling Jack

OnTheIce @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Jack Layton: I enjoy listening to him in debates. He's clear, and does not wave his hands around. He got his message across clearly.

Gilles Duceppe: Not much of a debater and irrelevant in the majority of English speaking Canada but he does get his point across well and does a good job at hammering the others when he can. A very smart man

Paul Martin: Killing the NWS clause=death. What an idiot. He made that up on the fly! His technique of debate is very poor. His hand waving was terribly annoying and at times, he looks tired and confused...almost scrambling.

Stephen Harper: Stood his ground, even when attacked, and came across very to the point. He did look fat.

Tricks @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Martin: On the defensive a lot of the time. When he talked about the notwithstanding clause, i believe harper made an excellent point. Look at britain, they don't even have a constitution. All martin does is whne a tough decision comes along, off to the courts it goes, we don't elect these people, so we shouldn't give them major issues.

Harper: Appeared calm, gave good points, and defended well.

Duceppe: He is an excellent debator, but i just can't agree with seperatist points, and he technically should not be there anyways.

Layton: Oh boy, good ol' jack. This guy seriously knows nothing of economy and business. He showed his lack of knowledge with accounting when he said, "the farmers showed be their BALANCE SHEETS, and it showed them losing money."......balance sheets? Don't you mean income statement you fucktard? He says he is going to help families, children, aboriginals, seniors, women, students, post secondary education. Wow awesome, wait, who arent you going to help? Other then the homeless..... :roll: He will drive this country into the ground twice, then nuke it. He is beyond ignorant of economy.

Well those are my views...putting on my fire redardant suit now ;)

AngloAngst @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:45 pm

I thought Duceppe had the factoid of the night. Don't know if it's true (!) but an increase in Health Department publicity staff from 500ish to 4500ish is incredible ! I'm a big supporter of preventative healthcare measures, but a nine fold increase in staff in the most cash strapped portfolio!

ridenrain @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:47 pm

..And we still didn't hear martin say nation and Quebec in the same sentence.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next