Canada Kicks Ass
SECOND ENGLISH DEBATE - SECOND DÉBAT ANGLOPHONE

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Numure @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Delwin Delwin:
It's like I said earlier, it's about Rene Leveques referendum law, outside agencies can't interfere with a national referendum, he can't say Quebec is a nation or, an outside ad angency (options Canada)would be breaking that law.Duceppe is trying to invalidate the last referendum so he can spawn a new one.Unfortunately for Duceppe, everyone else in Canada would descibe the referendum as a provicial one, not a national one, if I as a Canadaian non-Quebecer would have gotten to cast a vote, I would totally agree with him.

It was a National Referendum for Québécois. As too us, let it be federalists or not, we are a nation! Federalists named the provincial assembly ''L'Assemblé Nationale''. Martin is alienating soft nationalists but not admiting this.

If the investigation thus conclude that option Canada commited referendum fraud, then the referendum vote of 1995 could be devalidated. I doubt I need to explain how horrible this could be to Canada.

Delwin @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Numure Numure:
Delwin Delwin:
It's like I said earlier, it's about Rene Leveques referendum law, outside agencies can't interfere with a national referendum, he can't say Quebec is a nation or, an outside ad angency (options Canada)would be breaking that law.Duceppe is trying to invalidate the last referendum so he can spawn a new one.Unfortunately for Duceppe, everyone else in Canada would descibe the referendum as a provicial one, not a national one, if I as a Canadaian non-Quebecer would have gotten to cast a vote, I would totally agree with him.

It was a National Referendum for Québécois. As too us, let it be federalists or not, we are a nation! Federalists named the provincial assembly ''L'Assemblé Nationale''. Martin is alienating soft nationalists but not admiting this.

If the investigation thus conclude that option Canada commited referendum fraud, then the referendum vote of 1995 could be devalidated. I doubt I need to explain how horrible this could be to Canada.

This issue has already been addressed.:The Supreme Court of Canada has struck down a major section of Quebec's referendum law, throwing a wrench in Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard's plans for another vote on sovereignty.

Invoking the ghost of Rene Levesque who brought in the law as premier, the Quebec government called yesterday's ruling "an attack on democracy" and threatened to use the notwithstanding clause to circumvent the decision.

With an eye on next February's reference to the Supreme Court on Quebec's right to declare independence unilaterally, Natural Resources Minister Guy Chevrette dismissed the high court.

"We will not get down in front of a Supreme Court where the judges are only named by political alliance" -- a veiled reference to the appointment of Justice Michel Bastarache, a former legal colleague of the prime minister.

While praising the main objective of the almost 20-year-old referendum law, the high court unanimously struck down the sections of the legislation that limit campaign spending by third parties.
The issue of third party spending has already been addressed, the only option Duceppe has is to covice a supreme court that Quebec is it's own nation and that provinces outside Quebec are not part of the same nation as Quebec, he really has no case here.
http://www.efc.ca/pages/media/ottawa.ci ... oct97.html

maple_leaf1 @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:28 pm

Numure Numure:

It was a National Referendum for Québécois. As too us, let it be federalists or not, we are part of a nation! .

Part of Canada that is...which is our country, our nation.

Elvis @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 pm

Désolé Maple1 mais le Canada n'est pas ma Nation. Je suis de nationnalité Québecoise et c'est le Québec qui est ma patrie. Le Problème c'est que ça fait dix ans de trop que je suis obligé de prétendre que je vit aux Canada. Vois tu je suis une personne qui crois très fortement dans les valeur de la démocratie. J'étais près à accepter la défaite en 1995 parce que je croiyait que nous avions perdu fair and square. Mais ce n'étais pas le cas!

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:41 pm

$1:
Je suis de nationnalité Québecoise et c'est le Québec qui est ma patrie

is that like being a citizen of narnia or middle earth because they don't exist either? (except in the minds of fantasy fans)

maple_leaf1 @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:46 pm

Elvis Elvis:
Désolé Maple1 mais le Canada n'est pas ma Nation. Je suis de nationnalité Québecoise et c'est le Québec qui est ma patrie. Le Problème c'est que ça fait dix ans de trop que je suis obligé de prétendre que je vit aux Canada. Vois tu je suis une personne qui crois très fortement dans les valeur de la démocratie. J'étais près à accepter la défaite en 1995 parce que je croiyait que nous avions perdu fair and square. Mais ce n'étais pas le cas!

I'm very confident the seperatists will lose the next referendum ...Voting for Bloc does not necessarily mean seperation support. Alot of their voters vote to scare other parties in order for them to do a better job and some simply cuz they feel their members represent Quebec ridings better...But, you'll say differently, I know that already.

Poisson @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:01 pm

maple_leaf1 maple_leaf1:
Elvis Elvis:

I'm very confident the seperatists will lose the next referendum ...Voting for Bloc does not necessarily mean seperation support. Alot of their voters vote to scare other parties in order for them to do a better job and some simply cuz they feel their members represent Quebec ridings better...But, you'll say differently, I know that already.

Of course, what it counts how much support the Quebeckers are giving to the PQ to win the next provincal elections. We all know the PQ and Boisclair are going to campaign to include the new referendum as part of their mandate. Charest is in a huge dump unless he makes a miracle to turn his growing unpopularity around.

Numure @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 pm

maple_leaf1 maple_leaf1:
Elvis Elvis:

Martin made a vote for the bloc a vote on souvraité.

Numure @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:09 pm

maple_leaf1 maple_leaf1:
Numure Numure:

It was a National Referendum for Québécois. As too us, let it be federalists or not, we are part of a nation! .

Part of Canada that is...which is our country, our nation.

Le Canada est notre pays, mais pas nécessairement notre nation. Nous sommes la nation Québécoise, et tu es un minorité dans le Québec Maple-Leaf, une très petite minorité. Tout les partie politiques de l'Assemblé Nationale demande d'inclure le FAIS que le Québec est une Nation dans la constitution Canadienne. Même les Fédéralists, voilà pourquoi personne ne la jamais signé. Même pas monsieur Bourassa, et non plus monsieur Charest.

Numure @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:11 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
Je suis de nationnalité Québecoise et c'est le Québec qui est ma patrie

is that like being a citizen of narnia or middle earth because they don't exist either? (except in the minds of fantasy fans)

Watch what you say, because like it or not, a majority of Québecers, a very large one at that, believe Québec is a Nation very différent from Canada. And they ARNT one in the same. What we differ on in Québec, is our right to self détermination.

Martin lost support in this province because he attacked that fact, that's why his support within the fédéralists are moving towards the conservatives.

AngloAngst @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:33 pm

Numure,

you're in danger of being clear, and that doesn't help the separatists.

You started with "Nous sommes la nation Québécoise," which everyone in Canada will agree with. I am not a member of your nation. I am not Québécois. But then you wrote " le Québec est une Nation". But I live in Quebec, so am I now a member of la nation du Québec but NOT a member of la nation Québécoise.

This is a common thread in the separatist mindgames. "we want recognition as a nation like the Acadians" seemlessly morfs into "we want a country called Québec". They are not mutually exclusive to you, but you have to understand that they ARE mutually exclusive to me. The two things are different. Canada will give you the first of these in a heartbeat, but the plastic deformation of that recognition into a separate country is not acceptable. If you will separate the two issues (nationality versus sovereignty), Canada will respond clearly. But that wouldn't suit the separatists, so the dance goes on.........

Delwin @ Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:55 pm

Delwin Delwin:
Numure Numure:
Delwin Delwin:

This issue has already been addressed.:The Supreme Court of Canada has struck down a major section of Quebec's referendum law, throwing a wrench in Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard's plans for another vote on sovereignty.

Invoking the ghost of Rene Levesque who brought in the law as premier, the Quebec government called yesterday's ruling "an attack on democracy" and threatened to use the notwithstanding clause to circumvent the decision.

With an eye on next February's reference to the Supreme Court on Quebec's right to declare independence unilaterally, Natural Resources Minister Guy Chevrette dismissed the high court.

"We will not get down in front of a Supreme Court where the judges are only named by political alliance" -- a veiled reference to the appointment of Justice Michel Bastarache, a former legal colleague of the prime minister.

While praising the main objective of the almost 20-year-old referendum law, the high court unanimously struck down the sections of the legislation that limit campaign spending by third parties.
The issue of third party spending has already been addressed, the only option Duceppe has is to covice a supreme court that Quebec is it's own nation and that provinces outside Quebec are not part of the same nation as Quebec, he really has no case here.
http://www.efc.ca/pages/media/ottawa.ci ... oct97.html

As a side note, this was also part of the reason that Martin is trying to abolish the nonwithstanding clause, it can be used by the Bloc to overturn the courts decision regarding the old law. I suggest you cons out there take a closer look at it if you want your kids to grow up in the same country that you did.

AngloAngst @ Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 am

Delwin,

Martin has proposed removing the federal, not the provincial, notwithstanding clause. The FEDERAL notwithstanding clause can only be invoked with the support of the FEDERAL government of Canada. How exactly will the BQ form the FEDERAL government in order to invoke the notwithstanding clause?

Delwin @ Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am

AngloAngst AngloAngst:
Delwin,

Martin has proposed removing the federal, not the provincial, notwithstanding clause. The FEDERAL notwithstanding clause can only be invoked with the support of the FEDERAL government of Canada. How exactly will the BQ form the FEDERAL government in order to invoke the notwithstanding clause?
The nonwithstanding clause is section 33 of the charter of rights and freedoms that govern all provinces except Quebec because they have their own charter. However, all other provinces have only one nonwithstanding clause, this can and has been used by provinces to overturn court decisions, the removal of the clause from the charter, and therefor all 9 other provinces would inevitably lead to the removal of the quebec equivelant.Only in quebec is it a provincial thing, but it has almost always been envoked in conjuction with the Canadian charter.The Quebec equivelant is their version of the Charter law and it is the same one that they used to overturn the decision on bill 101:
Section 33(1) of the charter of rights and freedoms permits parliament or a provincial legislature to override section 2 of the charter(containing such rights as freedoms of expression...
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/libra ... p194-e.htm

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:11 am

The freaking newfies have a more solid claim to nationhood than Quebec does. Like i said before the idea of Quebec being a nation is about as credible, and based in reality, as narnia or Middle Earth (Though Gilles would make a great Sauron).

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next