Canada Kicks Ass
ICBC Sucks!

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next

Regina @ Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 pm

I think you have six months to change plates and at the same time you'll build a history. Even if you still need to change them after that, you'll have a few more dollars in your jeans going forward.

Canadaka @ Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 pm

yah but thats SK, try comparing to Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Halifax.

fatbasturd @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:12 am

I pay 800 a year to insure a brand new car well a 2006 that is and that is full insurance not just comp.
It's the same here for the uninterupeted insurance record, here is a tip for the future if you need to take your car off the road what you do is instead of canceling your premiums get them to down grade your coverage to just fire......it keeps the record open indefinitly and only costs you about 8 to 10 bucks a month.

Brenda @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:17 am

I am going to my bank today, which also is a broker for the insurance company. I am going to have them write a letter and provide the info ICBC needs to get me 40% discount. I have 80% discount here, and insuring my (former) 1997 Mercedes costed me € 400,-- a year. My 1988 Golf costs me now € 150,-- a year...

Robair @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:35 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
yah but thats SK, try comparing to Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Halifax.
Why?

I live in a small town in BC, why compare to big cities???

SK has government run, no-fault insurance. That means lawyers don't get to drain money from the system and drive rates up for everybody.

SGI is a better system. ICBC sucks.

Richard @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:07 pm

AB pulled the same thing on me when I went to insure my trucks out there a few years back.No history in Ab. I am in whistler with two of the trucks right now and my plate cost has doubled monthly.

The scream and die hwy is not insurance friendly and lately I have seen why.

Robair @ Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 am

Richard Richard:
AB pulled the same thing on me when I went to insure my trucks out there a few years back.No history in Ab. I am in whistler with two of the trucks right now and my plate cost has doubled monthly.

Oh? Did you shop around? I had no troubles moving there from SK... ...that would have been the year 2000. Still not as cheap as SK, but had no trouble looking up my history with SGI.

Which highway would be the "screem and die highway" ? :)

Brenda @ Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:45 am

Sea to Sky ;-)

SprCForr @ Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Robair Robair:
Canadaka Canadaka:
I pay $700 a year to insure my 2002 Car in BC. Thats cheaper than any of the other Canadian Cities from what I remember learning in high school.

What would it be in SK? Launch the rate calculator: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/rates/rate_calc.htm

Let me know what you find out... or tell me what you drive and I'll find out.

$392/yr for the Ditchpig. Too much. I currently pay less than that. ($36.00 but what the hell! That's full coverage as well. :lol:)

Zipperfish @ Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Richard Richard:

Scream and die...that's awesome.

Yogi @ Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 am

Here in Ab. I pay $119.82 per mo. for 2 vehicles-full coverage-$500.00 deductible.That also includes rental of a vehicle due to an accident regardless of who is at fault.

celtica @ Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:08 am

Hey Robair, welcome to BC! You have to remember though, they need to charge so much so they can continue to keep giving those manager sweet raises every quarter!

Cheers,
celtica

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:23 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Robair Robair:
I looked at buying a little piece of junk truck today, just for bombing back and forth to work. Just buying the legal minimum, no comprehensive, it would cost me 1,300.00 per year to insure a 1,500 dollar truck!!

I like ICBC, but I agree that is fucked up. I don't think private insurance would be much better though.

It wasn't. I can remember getting private insurance when I moved to BC in 69. After comming from Saskatchewan where insurance was Gov't owned,it was a big shock to have to buy much more expensive private insurance.

So despite their claims that it lets people shop around for the best deal, it didn't exhist, all insurers worked basically in unison to keep their rates high.

Therefore I can unequivocally claim that only two things the NDP have "ever done" that I agree with are:

ICBC in British Columbia and;
Public Health Care in Saskatchewan

Well I stand corrected, here's a link with the insurance rates by province and BC's (gov't run) the highest with Ontario (private) second highest and Saskatchewan (gov't run) third highest. So it appears that it isn't whether it's run by Gov't or Private companies, their both out to screw you over anyway they can and increase their bottom line.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_7918.aspx

Although, it may just be that Canada's aging population, which pays alot less for insurance has to be offset by higher rates for younger drivers, which is driving up the overall rates?

damngrumpy @ Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:23 am

I for one have always supported the concept of ICBC and I hope they never allow the private companies back in here in any measure. At least when I have a problem I get my money without having to go through a series of private insurance scavengers like I did before government insurance came into being. I have been involved in five accidents and none have been my fault. I get my money, I have always been treated fairly and I have never had to wait. I have nothing but good things to say.
I can sympathize a bit with someone who didn't have insurance in their name, but it is something that everyone should have. If you are going to drive you should develope a driving history, the same as you have a credit rating or a banking history. It is not the fault of the insurance company in BC that you don't have an individual driving history. To expect the whole province should change their way of doing business because they can't fit you in is just silly.
You came from Kentucky and thats great, but this is BC and you will have to adjust simple as that

hurley_108 @ Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 am

Robair Robair:
What would it be in SK? Launch the rate calculator: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/rates/rate_calc.htm

Let me know what you find out... or tell me what you drive and I'll find out.

According to that, the most (zero safety rating) I'd pay is $90/month. I currently pay $165/month. Bring on public insurance!

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next