Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 485  486  487  488  489  490  491 ... 533  Next

Thanos @ Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:36 pm

Scape Scape:
Thanos, are you Adam Sessler?

Nah. My family is and always has been thoroughly fucked. Believe me, I'm the normal & rational one out of the entire conservative-bred-to-the-bone lot of them, the only one who ever escaped from the thought-shackles of blindly supporting the pro-rich man's movement. Had more than enough moments where I wished that I'd been born to a different family. Doesn't mean I didn't/don't love them though, no matter how foolish they've been. I just wanted them to have been different, less angry, and far less close-minded. Thinking about it makes me sad about them, not hateful.

Though some of what Sessler says is strangely ........ not wrong. Like with the Republicans. Does anyone who would have voted for Lincoln or Eisenhower or even the Bushes, or who fought in the same wars with them, have anything in common with a GQP who supports the likes of Trump? I certainly hope that the answer to that one would be a massive no. :|

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:59 am

$1:
Sars-CoV-2 spike protein activates human endogenous retroviruses in blood cells

Transposable elements, or jumping genes, are now known to be responsible for many human diseases. Keeping them repressed by methylation, RNA binding, or the attentions of the innate immune system is a full-time jump for cells.

Last week, we reviewed the activation of one particular kind of transposable element, the Line-1 retrotransposons, in an ever-expanding host of neurodegenerative conditions. Retrotransposons derive from human endogenous retrovirus (HERVs) but typically have lost their signature long terminal repeat sequences at the beginning and ends of their genes.

On Tuesday, a real zinger was dropped onto the medRxiv preprint server that could potentially explain many of the commonly observed pathogenic features of SARS-CoV-2. The authors provide solid evidence that the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein activates the envelope (ENV) protein encoded by HERV-W in blood cells, which is in turn directly responsible for many pathological features of the disease. HERV-W is named for the fact that many retroviruses in the group use a tryptophan tRNA in the primer binding site. Apparently, the shape of the letter W somehow reminded the naming committee of the shape of the ring structure of atoms in the side chain of tryptophan.

Researchers had previously observed a correlation in the expression of HERV-W ENV protein in T lymphocytes with severe respiratory distress in SARS-CoV-2 patients. However, the exact mechanisms involved were not clear. Now, the real culprit in HERV-W activation has been discovered. Researchers added a recombinant trimeric spike protein without stabilizing mutations to cultured peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from SARS-CoV-2 patients. They found immediate and significant upregulation of the RNAs for the ENV protein from both HERV-W and HERV-K. Curiously, only the RNAs for HERV-W resulted in subsequent ENV protein expression.

https://phys.org/news/2022-01-sars-cov- ... enous.html

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:11 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Neil Young wants to quit Spotify over Joe Rogan's vaccine misinformation

Spotify says it will remove Neil Young’s music instead of dropping Joe Rogan

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 am

I'd cancel Spotify for this, but I never was desperate enough to use it. All my devices get normal radio, or use USB for digital music.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:16 am

Omicron’s wave is at least 386% taller than delta’s—and it’s crushing hospitals

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 am

raydan raydan:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Oooh! A psychologist has an opinion about climate! Too bad he's absolutely wrong about everything, because it has nothing to do with psychology - the thing he knows something about. :roll:

And you reeeaaly don't want to open the 'blackness' argument. Nothing good comes from that.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, just to be clear. :wink:

I know, so was mine. But ridicule is perfectly acceptable form of sarcasm too. Unlike actual climatologists reactions. ;)

‘Word salad of nonsense’: scientists denounce Jordan Peterson’s comments on climate models

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:21 am

Omicron subvariant BA.2 raises new questions about puzzling evolution of virus behind COVID-19

xerxes @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:13 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Spotify says it will remove Neil Young’s music instead of dropping Joe Rogan

Neil’s right, but Joe Rogan is worth more to Spotify. They paid $100m for his podcast, they’re not going to dump that for Neil.

bootlegga @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'd cancel Spotify for this, but I never was desperate enough to use it. All my devices get normal radio, or use USB for digital music.

Likewise, I don't see any attraction to using Spotify. When I'm in the car, I listen to FM radio, and when I need music from my phone, I just use YouTube or my own ripped CD music.

It seems like society is moving towards everyone paying subscriptions for shit we don't own, and I'm not interested in getting nickeled and dimed so some rich asshole can line his pockets. That asshole who said that "In 2030 you will own nothing and be happy" can go fuck himself.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:59 am

xerxes xerxes:
Neil’s right, but Joe Rogan is worth more to Spotify. They paid $100m for his podcast, they’re not going to dump that for Neil.

Pretty sure Neil knew that. But in his career, he's always written protest songs that people said would end his career, but only made him more popular. Spotify siding with Rogan will only cost Neil about $23 annually in royalties ;) , but make Neil the moral authority to the people, once again.

Spotify and Rogan end up being the bad guys.

bootlegga bootlegga:
When I'm in the car, I listen to FM radio, and when I need music from my phone, I just use YouTube or my own ripped CD music.

I buy phones that specifically let me use FM radio from the music players. The WiFi/Cellular chips have this ability built in, and it's up to the manufacturer to enable it. But it's getting hard to find phones that have this feature unlocked.

bootlegga bootlegga:
It seems like society is moving towards everyone paying subscriptions for shit we don't own, and I'm not interested in getting nickeled and dimed so some rich asshole can line his pockets. That asshole who said that "In 2030 you will own nothing and be happy" can go fuck himself.

Yup. Right now, I only subscribe to 2 streaming services, use 2 others that my sister has, and one VPN service. In 2030, I will still have records pressed in the 1930's to today, and I will still be able to play them. :rock:

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am

Proposed new post-pandemic standards for long-term care being released today

Thanos @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:27 pm

Hmmm. Kind of disappointed that Twitter today isn't full of "hee haw! go get 'em!" comments from UCP members endorsing the upcoming trucker riot in Ottawa. I had a lot of arrows in the quiver full o' sarcasm that I wanted to loose at the hateful lot of them.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Wait for it.

Thanos @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:08 pm

They're usually quite quick on the draw to say something stupid though. Especially when Kenney's taken the lead for them with his "I'm gonna go down to the US and raise hell over this mandate!" comments.

Fucking idiots. Goddamn I've come to utterly despise each and every single one of them. :evil:

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:16 pm

I heard on the news earlier that Todd Loewen, formerly of the UCP for being too radical, was joining the Convoy. I'm sure he won't speed either.

https://www.mygrandeprairienow.com/9401 ... to-ottawa/

The news was speculating that because Randy has lost control of the asylum, that others are expected to join.

Previous  1 ... 485  486  487  488  489  490  491 ... 533  Next