Canada Kicks Ass
What are you reading?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 26  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 pm

Man, right now I'm reading everything I can get my hands on. Most of the series I've been reading are between sequels. I'm waiting for the next book of the George RR Martins A Song of Ice and Fire. It's got more twists than a Taiwanese switchback. The nice thing is the protagonists aren't all good and the antagonists all have redeeming qualities. Both are motivated by what they consider to be the best situation for all concerned, especially themselves. Very Machiavellian.

Regina @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:23 pm

canadian1971 canadian1971:
Regina Regina:
Just started reading "Holding Juno" by Mark Zuehlke......again. I've read the first couple of chapter 3 times now. Just haven't got into the reading mode this summer. My handicap is a couple stroke lower though. :oops:

Holding Juno?....is it new? I've read all his books on Canada's involvement in WW2 but have not heard of Holding Juno. Is it a new one? If so it will be next on my list....right now I'm re-reading Juno Beach. Some nice stories in there...some not so nice.

*edit....Dark Tower is fucking good! The ending is kinda cruel though...with a ray of light.

Hile Gunslingers....long days and pleasant nights! :lol:

Holding Juno has been out since the spring........I think that's when I bought it. At least one of the soldiers he writes about is someone I know personally.
Who wrote the Juno Beach you're now reading?

Regina @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:25 pm

Holy crap!!!!! A translation button just appeared on my screen. Treeeeevoooor is that you?

canadian1971 @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey Regina....I have asked you this question before i think but forgot what thread it was in!

The footage of the Canadian troops landing on Juno Beach....is that the Regina Rifles or the Queens Own....I'm pretty sure it was one of them no?

And one for RH concerning "the Black Watch"....was it the Royal Highlanders of Canada that were first into Germany, I've heard an old vet recount the day he heard that "The Black Watch" has entered Germany.....the first Allied force to do so.....was this the Canadian Black Watch...or the Scots(they had a reg. called "TBW" too didn't they?) cause he was British eh!

Regina @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 pm

Qweens Own

What Juno book are you reading and who wrote it?

markthepostie @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:55 am

figfarmer figfarmer:
It has none of the theological crap of the others and is a bit more realistic. The basic premise of The DaVinci Code is idiotic and the science of Angels And Demons is unrealistic. There are a couple of scenes in Digital Fortress which are a bit too Indiana Jonesish in their farfetchedness, but it's a saner read all 'round. I just realised I have another of his, Deception Point, yet to read.

I've read all four, with Digital Fortress being the last one. By that time, I found that he was getting a bit predictable with the characters, the cliffhangers, the "red herrings", and the revelation of the real villain. That being said, Deception Point was very different from the other three. I think it might have been his first book published.

canadian1971 @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:39 am

Regina Regina:
Qweens Own

What Juno book are you reading and who wrote it?

Juno Beach Canada's D-Day Victory by Zuehlke....that's why I ask eh...perhaps he wrote another that I don't know about yet.

figfarmer @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:00 am

maybe his second best. I enjoyed The Stand most, with The Stand and It tied for second.

Aanii @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:27 am

I usually have a couple of books going. In my carry-all, I've got Margaret Somerville's The Ethical Canary. In the living room, Charles de Lint's Someplace To Be Flying. Bedside reading is the new Harry Potter, with a back-up bag of 4 or 5 books on the floor by Jonathan Stroud (my nephew insists I'm going to love these--but Shelby Foote died this year and I'm feeling a yen to re-read some of his books first,).

I read Da Vinci - it was a good read. My only complaint was that the end sort of petered out to "blah". Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed so many of these writers put out really good, interesting stories and then sort of choke at the finish?

Aanii.

rockymountainrider @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:40 am

Just finished Ted Dekker's 'Black' and looking forward to time for 'Red'. Almost done Stephen Barnes, 'Charisma' and am really impressed with his writing. I loved 'Blood Brothers' and this is a similar thought.
'Wide Eyed and Legless' about the Tour de France is sitting bedside with a marker part way through.
And there are several others that are in progress but packed in boxes waiting for my shelf space to clear up.
Damn moving.

TonyCanuck @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 am

canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
I just started reading Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild". I have heard so much about this book and the last book I read by Krakauer was "Into Thin Air" which blew my mind. Can't wait to get into the middle of this one.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

I'll have to get that book!!! I loved his book 'Into Thin Air'. I just watched a Nova episode the other day about his trek to Antarctica. That was also interesting. Let me know how 'Into the Wild' turns out. :wink:

You'll be the first to know 'Nucker! Have you read Anotoli Boukreev's book about the same climb to Everest? Very different story he tells about the tragedy.

Yes of course, I had to read Anotoli's version of events after I read Krakauer's. Where is this "wild" he's in now?

The "wild" Krakauer is talking about is Alaska but the story unfolds in many places in North America before Alaska.

canucker @ Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:49 pm

TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
I just started reading Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild". I have heard so much about this book and the last book I read by Krakauer was "Into Thin Air" which blew my mind. Can't wait to get into the middle of this one.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

I'll have to get that book!!! I loved his book 'Into Thin Air'. I just watched a Nova episode the other day about his trek to Antarctica. That was also interesting. Let me know how 'Into the Wild' turns out. :wink:

You'll be the first to know 'Nucker! Have you read Anotoli Boukreev's book about the same climb to Everest? Very different story he tells about the tragedy.

Yes of course, I had to read Anotoli's version of events after I read Krakauer's. Where is this "wild" he's in now?

The "wild" Krakauer is talking about is Alaska but the story unfolds at many points before in North American before Alaska.

Interesting. Thanks. :D

SwampoO @ Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:54 pm

[quote="victoriasweets"]Hi! I'm currently reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series! They're huge books, but I love them![/quote

I have a good feeling about this victoriasweets]

alieth1 @ Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Dude. Im reading a book about nucular(sp?) fallout. Forget what its called...

carkiwi @ Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:03 am

right now, The Wedding - Nicholas Sparks (don't laugh)
next, The Water-Method Man - John Irving

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 26  Next