Canada Kicks Ass
Merged - Paul and the Seals

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10

LittleKopit @ Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:41 am

Must have been a lot of :P then.

:)

Ruxpercnd @ Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:13 am

PETA is not a respected organization in the U.S.. However, from an American... I didn't really understand the situation until I had worked through the material posted here. A picture is worth a thousand words and the pictures that we Americans saw were basically lies.

Most people don't know how much news is manufactured by biased press releases. The news media like a meat grinder - just dump stuff in and out comes the hamburger. Pics of Paul and Heather posing with a cute little white seal is a sure seller.

LittleKopit @ Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:16 pm

All too many just looks at the pictures :( & it is like pictures shown on this thread.

In contrast here is a open letter penned by Desmond McGrath that turned up on the e-mai circuit:

$1:
Desmond (who has a bit of a thing with the English, obviously) is a retired priest-social-activist who years ago became involved with Cashin in the Fishermen's Union and politics. He was tireless and effective in his commitment.

$1:
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:00:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Letter to Larry King Re McCartneys Seal Hunt Protest
To: [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected]

Larry King, Larry King Live, c/o CNN
Honourable Danny Williams
Sir Paul and Heather Mills McCartney
Re: Interview With Paul McCartney, Heather Mills McCartney Aired March 3, 2006 - 21:00 ET
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... kl.01.html
Dear Sirs and Lady McCartney;
While CNN and you, Larry, tried to display a balanced perspective on the Newfoundland Seal Hunt, there were significant elements of “not letting the truth get in the way of a good story”. It is obvious that even the website mentioned by the McCartney’s www.protectseals.org is a false revenue generation front for the US Humane Society automatically forwarding to the URL http://www.hsus.org/
This latest onslaught against the seal hunt is little more than a socio-economic terrorism campaign against the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. Who are the Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans you may ask? We are the Inuit and Innu who migrated east out of Africa eventually setting on the northeast extremities of North America; with the final leg of the journey avoiding the warring of the central pre Columbian tribes to a place where they could be free. We are the Scots, Irish, Welsh, French, Basque, English, etc... Migrating west out of Africa were; the highland Scots escaping the great clearances. The Irish escaping poverty, rebellion, the English crown and famine. The French and Basque escaping wars and rebellions, and Acadians hiding from the English clearances of Acadia. The West Country fisher folk who were left behind on our rock shores to fend for ourselves through cruel winters after the fishing admirals’ holds were too full of fish to ship those poor people back whence they came. Much of the inhumanity foisted on Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans was either directly or indirectly at the hands of pompous English Lords.
But on our rocky shores they were unfettered and free; the deer in the woods were not the king’s deer, the trees not the king’s trees, the fish and seals in the ocean not the king’s fish. What we had was ours to subsist upon and grow. In the post ice age trans-Siberian migrations, the millennia since Norse settlement and half millennia since English and Portuguese rediscovery we have become a unique society with our own culture, music, customs and folk lore. Two of the most recognized and best loved dog breeds in the world, the Newfoundland Dog and the Labrador retriever hail from our shores. We have thrived here by subsisting off nature’s bounty as men and women of steel in frail wooden boats.
Every season had its purpose in our symbiotic relationship with this New Founde Lande. One of those seasonal bounties were the seal herds following the ice flows in the harsh winters when the root cellars were nearly empty of the previous years crop and the fish and caribou were out of reach in the thick sea ice and deep woods snows. Seal meat rich in omega 3 fatty acids sustained families through the lean winters, Seal oil lit lamps against winters darkness, seal skins became parkas and boots against winters cold fingers. It was then and still is subsistence hunting. Seal meat today in addition to being a pure, growth hormone and antibiotic free beneficial food source, is as much a delicacy in Newfoundland and Labrador as Veal and Fois Gras is in Europe. Yet the seals live wild and free and that some of their number fall to the hunter’s bullet on a hazardous winter ice floe has none of the inherent inhumanity associated with the production of Foie Gras, veal or any other intensive factory farming technique. By comparison Sealing is a small scale near cottage level enterprise in which the sealers get a significantly larger percentage of the profit and healthy meat from the endeavour than workers with the Agri-food Multinationals responsible for the mass production of hormone and antibiotic laden Chicken, Beef , Pork etc…
Sir Paul tries to differentiate between Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans pursuing their traditional Seal Hunt and aboriginals who do it for subsistence. The Inuit seal hunter who leaves Makkovik or Cartwright in his boat to hunt seals is pursuing the same basic human right as the sealer who leaves Twillingate, Bonavista or St. Anthony; Feeding, housing and clothing ones family. To say there is any difference smacks of racial discrimination and elitism, claiming that one class of human being has different inalienable rights than another. If you were to completely map the genome melting pot of Newfoundland and Labrador society after the past millennia, the boundary between those whose ancestors exclusively migrated from the East out of Africa are as rare as those who exclusively migrated west from Africa.
These are the same small boat, inshore and near shore fish harvesters whose 500 year history of sustainable fish harvesting has been destroyed by the foreign offshore draggers and factory freezer trawlers. Primarily from the European Union, these wealthy and powerful multinational corporations have vacuumed the fish stocks before they came ashore to feed these rural families. Despite decades of outcry by our rural communities, no high profile bleeding hearts like the McCartney’s ever lead the banner march to stop the corporate pillage and return that world heritage resource of the Grand Banks to its former abundance.
I am an engineer in the Petrochemical Industry and my westward migrating ancestors have been on Newfoundland’s shores since the mid 1500s. Despite my ancestors of the recent two centuries being Engineers, Lawyers, Doctors, Nurses, School teachers, Merchants and Artists, we all farmed, fished, hunted and ate what we hunted and fished. I have had a personal use sealing licence, for mature adult seals only, whenever I lived in Newfoundland and ate what I hunted. I am very conscious of what I eat and stick to organic, naturally raised or sustainable/wild caught animal and fish products.
Likewise I am conscious of the clothing and products I buy, gravitating towards cotton, hemp, silk, flannel, leather, fur, etc. all biodegradable. In fact when my seal skin boots of 18 years service were finally beyond repair, the boots and felt liners were put into my compost heap to eventually be recycled into fresh vegetables. I wonder what could be said of Lady McCartney’s much touted synthetic boots, manufactured from non-renewable petrochemical resources in plants that use many carcinogenic compounds and are often cited for fugitive emissions polluting the air, soil and water. Such synthetic clothing items are exceedingly difficult to and rarely recycled usually ending up in the morass of land fills or burned to release their constituent toxins into the air, soil and water.
Rather than focus on the plethora of inaccuracies in most of Sir Paul’s and Lady Heather’s arguments, I would prefer to direct you to the governmental web site for Fisheries and Oceans responsible for the Seal hunt.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm
I think Lady Heather and Sir Paul would find it difficult to accuse the same Government of Canada of lying about a small rural cottage industry as the seal hunt, while being such a stalwart supporter of Lady Heather’s ban on land mines and its 40 year history of international peace keeping activities.
Sir Paul your desire to completely stop the Seal hunt is not a one issue campaign, but a case of tunnel vision brought on by the propaganda of those who reap enormous financial benefit from using you and Lady Heather as the poster children for their cause alongside a newborn Whitecoat Pup. Speaking of which, I think is it time that Premier Williams launches a lawsuit against using the Whitecoat pup image associated with campaigns to ban the seal hunt as fraudulent misrepresentation, since the federally regulated hunt does not permit hunting and killing of these seals in the Whitecoat stage.
Furthermore, Premier Williams should request Congress and the FBI to do a forensic audit of the Humane Society of the US and any other agency that uses the seal hunt as a revenue generation mechanism to show what proportion of the seal hunt revenues go towards the seal hunt campaign, and what portion are diverted into general revenue, as none of these monies are ever directed towards the rural communities whose fabric has been ripped apart by the fishery collapse. If found guilty of such misappropriation of cause specific funds, then these agencies should be stripped of their taxable donation status.
Sir Paul, if you are looking for a just cause in your golden years, then put your weight and wealth behind stopping the EU based over fishing on the Grand Banks. Help restore a sustainable Cod Fishery of 500 years to its former abundance and the outport Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans reliance on the Seal hunt will taper off accordingly. Plus the seals won’t have to scour for food on the Trans Canada Highway far from the sea.
Desmond McGrath
A Newfoundland Patriot
Living in Political and Socio-Economic Exile in the Bayous of Louisiana

fatbasturd @ Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:21 pm

The english lords can kiss my Candian ass....fuck paul the arsehole and his fucktard of a wife.

LittleKopit @ Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:24 pm

I thought I did right good to read through the entire thread and keep my cool.

:)

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10