Canada Kicks Ass
A little problem with your forum Trev.

Previous  1 ... 159  160  161  162  163  164  165 ... 171  Next

raydan @ Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:21 pm

As a former DBA, nothing pisses me off more that seeing an SQL error. :evil:

Scape @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:49 pm

I can only use this site with my iphone safari browser. Which really sucks. I can't pin down why the format is so messed up but edge, Brave and Opera all give the same results. I can see no videos, pictures and the user interface for the top of the page is in the middle of the screen over top of posts.

It's an unreadable mess.

Scape @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:51 pm

Oh and I reinstalled windows 10. No joy.

Thanos @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:43 pm

Could be that phpBB is so innately ancient now that the newer apps and Windows 11 will have more problems with it than anything from the old days, like Windows 7 or XP, ever did. Sort of like trying to play a CD on a 78 rpm Victrola.

DrCaleb @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:48 pm

I don't have any issues on Firefox or Chrome, on Windows 10, 11, or Fedora Linux. [huh]

Strutz @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:03 pm

I use Firefox and am still running 8.1.

No issues with posting or viewing (once I allow the No Script settings) except sometimes when I go from the forums page to the Home page it displays all weird (everything lists on the LH side of the screen) but that's been happening for awhile now. If I go back to the forums page and back again it's fine usually.

herbie @ Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:33 pm

Scape Scape:
I can only use this site with my iphone safari browser. Which really sucks. I can't pin down why the format is so messed up but edge, Brave and Opera all give the same results. I can see no videos, pictures and the user interface for the top of the page is in the middle of the screen over top of posts.

It's an unreadable mess.

Log out. Clear the cache. Log back in. Gotta do that each time there's one of these 'episodes'
I use Firefox 99% of the time on every OS.

herbie @ Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:14 pm

Conversion from phpBB 2.0.x to phpBB 3.3.x
https://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INSTALL.html#convert

$1:
Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you’re happy it’s all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2436071

It would be a major project with all the mods, I'd approach it by dropping a lot of them, simplifying the site to maybe just the forum and going with default settings and just the custom graphics. Toss in some adlinks for a little revenue...
Big project with so few users left around.

DrCaleb @ Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:28 pm

I'd make a virtual Mastadon server in the same space as the current servers, and migrate the data over.

With how old it is, you couldn't trust the code isn't compromised and backdoored from here to the great wall of China.

raydan @ Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:44 pm

Does upgrading PHP also upgrade the database? If it does, you're probably screwed, and if it doesn't, you're still probably screwed. :D

DrCaleb @ Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:44 pm

IIRC, the DB server is separate from the web server. It ran MySQL back in the day. PHP would only be upgraded on the Web server.

herbie @ Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:51 am

You need PHP7+ to run v3.3+
All the files in the program would be replaced, beginning with a fresh install would be best. Then you'd have no compromised code.
Then check the old db table by table before loading it.
Hell only load tables that will be used, even go so far as to delete entries over 10 years old.
Minimize.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:13 am

I hate PHP. After working on the Alberta Emergency Alert system, all it did was piss me off. Each component of the system needed it's own version of PHP, so we had to have 7 or 8 versions on each server.

And none of them were 100% compatible with each other. So each had to have it's own separately installed container. Frustrating.

That's why I'd go with Mastadon.

raydan @ Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:37 pm

I hated PHP and I hated MySQL but maybe things have changed since back in the days. Hell, MySQL wasn't even considered to be a 'rational' database... just a cut above JET.

Scape @ Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Ok, Firefox works. No idea why though.

Previous  1 ... 159  160  161  162  163  164  165 ... 171  Next