Canada Kicks Ass
Faith Goldy is running for Mayor of Toronto

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 21  Next

Tricks @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 am

BRAH BRAH:
Tricks Tricks:
Personally, I think being proud of being a race as fucking dumb, regardless of what race you are. You didn't do anything, why would you be proud of it?

Then it has to be Fucking dumb having pride parades being proud of being Gay, Transgender etc right? Black history month, Heritage festivals celebrating and sharing one's culture right is Fucking dumb right?

You're conflating culture with race. A black person from the southern united states has a very different culture than the black people in Zimbabwe.

I talked to a friend of mine who attends pride each year about this. Anecdotal, so take it for what you will. She said she doesn't go to pride because she is "proud" of being gay, as being straight or being gay isn't something to be proud of. She goes because it's a celebration of western society progressing to the point that they aren't being killed like they do in the middle east. Or jailed like in Russia. They are free to live their lives in relative peace, and they want to celebrate that. Personally, I think pride is one of the biggest instance of celebrating western culture, because at it's core it's about people being free. She also said she goes to pride because it's safe to be who you are. She still gets looks in grocery stores or malls if she holds her girlfriends hand. That doesn't happen at pride.

Black History month is there to celebrate the contributions of black individuals in history, as they have gone largely ignored in history. For example, Thanos mentioned the space program. Katherine Goble was instrumental in the successful calculation of flight trajectories, but we didn't hear about her until a movie was made 2 years ago. As I said above, I see it as having pride in those individuals for their contributions, and not pride in oneself for being the same colour as them. I'm not sure if they have the same attitudes towards black history month as my friend does towards pride, but the same would apply, in that they're celebrating their freedom.

Tricks @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 am

Thanos Thanos:
This is going way off the rails. I'm white but I'm not claiming credit from the (mostly) white guys from previous generations that designed & built the Hoover Dam, wiped out most of the diseases that killed untold millions over the centuries, painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, laid the legal & moral foundations that led to most of the other countries in the world surging towards democracy & equality, won the Cold War, put the space program together, or did a million other overwhelmingly positive things for the entire world that this ridiculous age we're now stuck in seems to completely take for granted.
A bunch of those things aren't "white" achievements. They're western achievements. Black people helped build the Hoover Dam. Charles Drew, a black doctor, helped pioneer blood banks and blood transfusions. The space program was rife with people of colour. By saying these things are white achievements instead of western achievements, you completely ignore, and erase, the contributions of people of other races in their success.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am

Bottom line for me re: Faith Goldy and the rest of them--the last two white pride movements of any size were the Third Reich and the KKK. So fuck 'em.

CharlesAnthony @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:47 am

Oh, I get it!
To hell with looking at any of her platform because Faith Goldy is white! Nothing else matters!

N_Fiddledog @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:50 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Bottom line for me re: Faith Goldy and the rest of them--the last two white pride movements of any size were the Third Reich and the KKK. So fuck 'em.

Bottom line for me is you don't know what you're talking about. Faith Goldy isn't a nazi. Calling people Nazis (even by fallacious insinuation) is a far left desperation move hoping to fall on the ears of the ignorant and the gullible.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 am

Tricks Tricks:
You're conflating culture with race. A black person from the southern united states has a very different culture than the black people in Zimbabwe.

Just a little sidebar here but an interesting bit of racial tension that I became aware of in the last year or so...

Seems the black Americans and native Africans don't always get along so nicely. The black Americans of late have decided to rediscover their roots and that's seen a growing number of them traveling to Africa.

When they get there they continue to act the same way in Africa as they do here and the Africans have an increasingly negative view of their American cousins.

Per a friend of mine who is a tribal king in Ghana the Americans tend to arrive in Africa wholly ignorant of complex and deadly serious tribal customs and they'll cause upset when they wear a tunic from one tribe and then sandals (for instance) from a tribe that hates the first tribe.

The end result is that the black Americans increasingly have a disdain for the Africans who are seen as less sophisticated, tribal, and trapped in tradition. The Africans are not so enamored of the Americans who are seen as obsessed with titles they haven't earned, they tend to be loud and arrogant and flashy, and they're often woefully ignorant of local customs and etiquette.

Just thought I'd toss that in.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Conversely, I view the two best white pride movements as the Western abolition of slavery and (combined) the two world wars to establish the West as free nations.

These events were white people at our best and I am utterly proud of the white people who fought for these things.

Yes, I know other people were involved but the fact remains that white people led these efforts and were the majority of the troops in these struggles.

PluggyRug @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am

Well, I'm white and proud of it, if that upsets you then fuck off and don't come back until you've grown a pair.

Tricks @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Tricks Tricks:

Just a little sidebar here but an interesting bit of racial tension that I became aware of in the last year or so...

Seems the black Americans and native Africans don't always get along so nicely. The black Americans of late have decided to rediscover their roots and that's seen a growing number of them traveling to Africa.

When they get there they continue to act the same way in Africa as they do here and the Africans have an increasingly negative view of their American cousins.

Per a friend of mine who is a tribal king in Ghana the Americans tend to arrive in Africa wholly ignorant of complex and deadly serious tribal customs and they'll cause upset when they wear a tunic from one tribe and then sandals (for instance) from a tribe that hates the first tribe.

The end result is that the black Americans increasingly have a disdain for the Africans who are seen as less sophisticated, tribal, and trapped in tradition. The Africans are not so enamored of the Americans who are seen as obsessed with titles they haven't earned, they tend to be loud and arrogant and flashy, and they're often woefully ignorant of local customs and etiquette.

Just thought I'd toss that in.

That's not surprising. Considering you see a difference in customs from north america to europe, to the point that either one can be annoyed with the other, and that's between countries that are very similar. If you look at Ghana vs the US, the difference is culture would be massive.

Tricks @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Conversely, I view the two best white pride movements as the Western abolition of slavery and (combined) the two world wars to establish the West as free nations.

These events were white people at our best and I am utterly proud of the white people who fought for these things.

Yes, I know other people were involved but the fact remains that white people led these efforts and were the majority of the troops in these struggles.

As I said above, I think you're doing a disservice by saying those are white achievements instead of western achievements.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

Tricks Tricks:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

As I said above, I think you're doing a disservice by saying those are white achievements instead of western achievements.

White people led the effort to abolish slavery and white people led the efforts to defeat the Germans and Japanese.

llama66 @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
White people led the effort to abolish slavery and white people led the efforts to defeat the Germans and Japanese.

But, but Germans were white....

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

And the Blacks were segregated to their own divisions, where they weren't in charge and couldn't lead. Meanwhile, anyone 'Japanese' got a 3 year vacation in US internment camps or Hastings Park.

Celebrating an accident of birth is silly. Celebrating what we've built together isn't.

Tricks @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I don't disagree at all. But white people didn't achieve it by themselves.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Yes, and the French once won a civil war. :lol:

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 21  Next