Canada Kicks Ass
What are you eating?

Previous  1 ... 147  148  149  150  151  152  153 ... 161  Next

raydan @ Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Home made Mac & Cheese with extra spicy pepperoni and 4 kinds of cheese including Parmesan (threw in everything I had), and then added some chaat masala for something different. The last of the cheese went on top and I threw that under the broiler.

My tastes buds are doing a happy dance. [drool]

DrCaleb @ Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 pm

I hope you started with a proper Beschamel! [drool] [drool]

DrCaleb @ Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:50 am

Downtown Edmonton hopes to be back in business with an anticipated end to working from home

[drool]

I haven't been there for so long. I bet she remembers my order!

raydan @ Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 pm

Bratwurst with butter veggies (like butter chicken but with chickpeas, potatoes, spinach and no chicken).

Strutz @ Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:20 pm

Soon to have a roast chicken dinner. [drool] With my bf's homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts. Have a bottle of wine already chilled and ready.

The usual leftovers tomorrow and I'll make a batch of chicken stock on Friday and freeze some for future use. We've been having the little hens lately which are hardly worth the effort to make stock but with a whole chicken it's worth it. Bought the fresh veggies and herbs today to make it good!

Strutz @ Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 am

The batch of chicken stock I made today turned out pretty good. Had it gently simmering for 6 hours and it turned out a bit different in flavour from my last batch but since I don't really follow a recipe but just "wing it", I'm not surprised. I will make soup tomorrow for dinner with some of it and add in the bit of meat I saved and some fresh vegetables and noodles. Rest to be frozen for soup in the future. My bf will make his yummy biscuits to have with.

Tomorrow is going to be a baking day with banana bread and chocolate chip cookies on the agenda.

I get on these weird rolls once in awhile. When I take some of my cookies and bread to work to share I have a coworker who tells me I should "go pro" LOL.

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:13 am

Recipes with Julie Van Rosendaal: Cooking with cabbage

Red Bean and Cabbage salad. [drool]

Strutz @ Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:01 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Recipes with Julie Van Rosendaal: Cooking with cabbage

Red Bean and Cabbage salad. [drool]

The picture of the Ukrainian stuffed buns reminded me of the sweet perogies my grandmother made using mashed plums (I can't remember what else) as a filling. She deep fried them the same way she made donuts and would freeze batches of them to later thaw then heat up in the oven. The plums, of course, came from their own orchard.

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:12 pm

Strutz Strutz:
The picture of the Ukrainian stuffed buns reminded me of the sweet perogies my grandmother made using mashed plums (I can't remember what else) as a filling. She deep fried them the same way she made donuts and would freeze batches of them to later thaw then heat up in the oven. The plums, of course, came from their own orchard.

Plum pyrogies. (Plumnberhy) [drool] Use a little sugar in the dough, half a plum and some sugar in the filling. Cook in heavy cream, and when the pyrogies start to soften and the cream thickens almost to butter, break one or two open to turn the cream purple.

I want that right now.

herbie @ Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:55 pm

Sunday Dinner comfort food for EastVan whiteboy.

Getting used to but not liking cooking for one. Whipped up
Chicken&Corn Egg Drop Soup for one
Piggyboy serving of potstickers (gyoza). No one else here so I mixed up soy, vinegar & sambal olek for a dip. Lovely mouth burn.

My sister dropped in just to see if I'm really doing OK. Surprised her & her hubby with a fancy Greek dinner I spent all day prepping and a fancy noodle stir fry the next day.

Last time they came up I had to explain the difference between masala, korma & biryani at the Indian place. This time I had to explain what a Bento box was... and they're the ones that live in the Lower Mainland. How does that work?

Strutz @ Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:41 pm

I saw a few days ago on their website, that our local Ukrainian community centre was having a fundraiser take-out dinner today from 4 to 630pm. We decided, no question, that that would be our dinner today. We got there before 4 and there was already a line up out the door. I heard one of the ladies volunteering talking to the fellow ahead of us that they opened the doors at 345 because there were already so many people waiting outside. When we left with our dinners there was an even bigger line up and the parking lot was packed. We were hungry (late breakfast, no lunch) and could barely stand the drive home because it smelled so good! We ate as soon as we got home, a container filled with perogies (topped with butter and onions), cabbage rolls, a chunk of Ukrainian sausage, meatballs with gravy, pickle slices plus a separate container with apple crisp with fresh whipped cream. Neither of us could finish it all so leftovers are in the fridge for later. The perogies and cabbage rolls were almost exactly like my Baba's. [drool]

DrCaleb @ Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:31 am

Something between an appfel strudel and a cinnamon bun. Size of a dinner plate, cinnamon apple in/on a brioche bun. [drool]

herbie @ Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:12 pm

It's really hard cooking for one, but I make a point of doing so at least twice a week. Reheating stuff doesn't count as cooking, and there's nowhere to eat out here.
Tried making peanut&chili chicken on udon noodles the other day -fail- not ready for prime time. But Tonight worked well. I stole a recipe for lettuce wraps, jazzed it up and dumped it over a bowl of premixed salad in a bag I had in the fridge - superb.
Super easy to make, and you've got the stuff in your fridge. Here's how:

Bulgogi burger-
Mix
1 pear. peel cut up and mash w fork (or grate)
1 tsp minced or grated garlic
2 tsp sugar in raw (white or brown ok)
3 tsp mirin (or white wine or leave out)
2 Tbsp soya sauce
Chop 4 green onions (save handful of chopped green)
sesame seeds
chili flakes to taste (1/4 tsp or more)
Mix in bowl, dribble in some sesame oil
Mix in 500g burger, let marinate

Get pan or wok really hot, little bit of oil
Put meat/sauce mix in and press all flat
let it cook until you can see char on bottom
and flip over to char other side
take off heat and break it into little bits
sprinkle more sesame seeds & green onion bits

Use lettuce leaves to make lettuce wraps or put it on top of a bowl of premixed salads.
Good with kimchi on the side. Also would be good w noodles or rice.

I made 1/4 serving, I just don't eat like I used to.

DrCaleb @ Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:04 am

I found a store in Edmonton that sells white grapefruit juice. [drool]

herbie @ Mon May 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Got served some at a diner. Probably from a 2 imp qt can in their cupboard since 1959

Previous  1 ... 147  148  149  150  151  152  153 ... 161  Next